Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.6 "TO Qualify or not to Qualify"
- - By weldr61 (*) Date 02-21-2012 03:01
I need some confirmation on a subject within D 1.6 (actually any D1 code). Some of my co-workers are debating the verbage on a print, which states: " all welding shall be in accordance with AWS D1.6" (or pick any D1 code). Their theory is as long as one follows the code (and I am not clear on whether that includes a WPS or not) that they are working in accordance with code. I am of a different opinion, I argue that if one is to employ an AWS code than the personell must be qualified to the code as a requirement of section 4. Does this make sense???

Thanks,
Charlie M.
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-21-2012 13:20
"Their theory is as long as one follows the code..."

Doing so requires following all Clauses of the Code.  Incuding Process and Personel Qualification.  Including Joint Design.  Including Inspection (and qualification of Inspection personel). Including Fabrication. 

FYI-
"All welder shall be qualified..."
"All Weld Procedures shall be written..."

PWC
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.6 "TO Qualify or not to Qualify"