Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question about aluminum welding standards
- - By kozak Date 02-23-2012 20:18
Hello everyone. I've been doing some research about welding standards for work and I stumbled across AWS D14.4 and I think this would be perfect for our use (welding thick pieces of steel and aluminum plate together) but obviously I haven't bought it and looked at it yet. Then I saw that the std was not for aluminum, but for carbon and low alloy steel. Could I use D14.4 as a reference on our engineering drawings anyways or is there a better standard to use for aluminum?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-23-2012 20:32
kozak

Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum

AWS D1.2  Structural Welding Code - Aluminum

http://www.aws.org/w/a/technical/d1/d1-2.html

Again Welcome to the forum

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By kozak Date 02-23-2012 20:47
Thats great thanks for the help!
Parent - By Solluz (*) Date 02-24-2012 16:18
Hi, Kozak,  I wasn't sure but your e:mail question sounded like you were wanting to weld carbon steel to aluminum (which by most common welding processes isn't possible).   You're aware of that probably, but just wanted to mention just in case not. 

Regards,
Sol
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-24-2012 20:19
kozak

Your welcome

May I suggest you look into using more punctuation or different verbiage

You have got some concerned of you query.

(welding thick pieces of steel and aluminum plate together)

Shouldn't it have been

Welding thick pieces of Steel Plate together and welding thick pieces of Aluminum Plate together

I think that was your question.

Just my ΒΆΒΆ's

Marshall
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2012 18:00

>for our use (welding thick pieces of steel and aluminum plate together)

I agree with the other reply, steel and aluminum aren't joined by a traditional welding process. Ship builders use explosive welding to joint steel and aluminum. You can google "Explosive Welding" for more examples.
Parent - - By kozak Date 04-18-2012 18:00
Sorry for the confusion we are welding alum to alum and steel to steel.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-18-2012 19:06
Marshall gave you the perfect answer...  

D1.2 is the best place to look for structural aluminum within the AWS standards.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 04-18-2012 18:31
I thought explosive welding was when you slip a firecracker into a guy's gas cup on a wirefeed gun. It's pretty cool unless you're the guy holding the gun.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question about aluminum welding standards