Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Score !
- - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-24-2012 02:12
Finnaly found a factory hardtop for my '60 willys cj5 !  And its in mint condition considering its off a '55, not one piece of glass is broken and everything is there including the metal doors with roll up windows.  Still has the original white paint.  However now I can see how out-of-whack my tub is with a hard top lol,  not too bad for a 50 year old jeep.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-24-2012 05:44
Here where I live [Pa.] Jeeps that old have not had any sheetmetal left, due to rust, for the last 30 years...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-25-2012 17:06
My Uncle always had Jeeps for winter driving. I remember a 65 he had and somewhere around 1985 he retired it to the haul the firewood out of the woods vehicle position, a job that was currently being done by a 46 willies. He said there was just no more metal left to repair after 10-15 years of western New York salt and snow. I saw it a few years ago behind his barn, nothing but a frame, engine and driveline! Funny though, the 46 Willies is still running, plowing the driveway and hauling wood out of the woods.

Sounds like a good score Nick! My Uncle(same one) is big into classic cars(owns 57 T-bird) and has told me original glass is worth some money on those old cars. I know good original stuff is getting harder and harder to find.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-26-2012 05:45
My Dad's boss has/had a '46 Jeep from new when He was in High school. They kept it at the hunting camp in later years, and it may still be in use there. This one and probably Your Uncle's were retired from road use before salt was in common use.

The one I mentioned was repaired in the late '70s with parts from a '47 wagon I had. Someone hadn't added enough antifreze, and the head cracked when it froze.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-26-2012 15:18
My Uncle's Dad got this one sometime after the war and used it when he moved to North Carolina until the late 70's early 80's when my Uncle brought it home to NY. Don't know if this thing ever saw the road, maybe in the 60's!! LOL!! It's amazing how solid the body is on it to this day. I don't think it has any rusted out places in it except for maybe the floor boards and the gas tank is a sprinkler so my Uncle uses a 5 gallon gas can! He says it uses oil but has not had an oil change since he's owned it!!! Just pours used oil from the other vehicles in it, the thing has no oil filter anyhow. He says when they go out to gather wood they don't have problems with mosquitos!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Score !