Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Sec IX Welder qual filler metal deposited question
- - By Kix (****) Date 02-27-2012 18:15
When you're filling out a welder qual per Sec IX, one of the variables is filler metal deposited.  Say a welder qualifies on a piece of 10g stainless steel .135" thick.  He roots it, fills it, and caps it in one pass.  Do you only put the thickness of the base material for filler metal deposited or do you include the root and cap reinforcement + the base material thickness?  I only put the base material thickness because that's you usually qualify to other standards so I interpreted it that way.  Always wondered that and I don't want to short change a welder.

Thanks,
Kix
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-27-2012 18:37
You are on the right track Kix. The base metal thickness is what is listed in the case you mentioned.

The thickness of the deposit comes into play when more than one process or more than one F number is used to complete the weld. For instance, suppose the root bead of a carbon steel test piece is deposited with GTAW (F6) and the remaining thickness is deposited with SMAW using E7028 (F1), both deposits would be recorded separately with the applicable deposit thickness. Which leads one to ask, "Who is recording the thickness of the weld deposited with each process or F number?"

"It ain't the welder."

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-27-2012 21:17
Thanks for the clarification Al.  I just wanted to double check myself on that one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Sec IX Welder qual filler metal deposited question