Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3 welder qualification test?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 03-05-2012 23:01
Can someone please give me the info on the welder qualification for D1.3 in the 3G position?  I just need to know what the material sizes and fit up.  I would assume the rest is similar to D1.1 as far as destructive tests. 

I don't have access to the code book.

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2012 00:11
You've been around here long enough to know you need to provide more information to get any kind of solid answer..  :)

D1.3 is a sheet metal code.... Materials <1/8" in thickness right?

So I would think you could expect a square groove rather than a V-groove.

Mateiral sizes would not be the same, as it is sheet steel

Fit-up would not be the same for similar reasons.

You have said nothing about process????  Throw us a bone here!

If you are taking the test you should have no problem I would think.

If you are conducting a test you are in real trouble without the code book.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-06-2012 00:40
Agreed, I do know to provide more information. This is more of an inquiry to help provide more information about a possible welder qualification for a company that manufacturers conveyor systems. I am just preparing myself as best as I can for a meet and greet with the customer to show me what they need.

I thought that D1.3 would be similar to D1.1 3G on the fact that is just a 45 degree V-Groove with a 1/4 root opening, blah blah blah. For all I know they might not even have any type of code which I would assume this is the case.  Most likely they just got a customer that requires some qualified welders.

Basically I just wanted to come prepared to tell them what is required to do for the test to practice and get some sort of procedure.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2012 01:35
While D1.1 goes down to 1/8" thickness D1.3 goes up to either 3/16 or 1/4" material.  The welder performance tests are different from those in D1.1 as Lawrence stated.  I don't have my D1.3 here at home but it seems they are mainly square butt joints, tee joints, and/or lap joints.

There are other differences as well but someone with more experience in D1.3 or with a copy handy will need to chime in here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-06-2012 03:43
Well, I will find out tomorrow morning what they want to do and report back if they will require D1.3 or maybe its some other sort of code.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2012 04:36
Good luck tomorrow.

Drop another note..  I do have a copy on my desk at work so if the timing is right I might be able to reference something for you when you have more data..
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 03-07-2012 01:33
Structural Welding Code, Sheet Steel, D1.3, Clause 1.1, This code contains the requirements for arc welding of structural sheet/strip steels, including cold formed members, hereafter collectively referred to as "sheet steel,"  which are equal to or less than 3/16 of an inch in nominal thickness.  D9.1 is the Sheet Metal Welding Code (up to 1/4 in.).  It can confusing but each has its purpose.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-07-2012 02:15

I looked it up when I got to the shop this morning and saw the same thing, up to and including 3/16 for D1.3 and up to and including 1/4 for D9.1.  That's possibly why I had both numbers floating around in my dead space.  And yes, each has other areas where they are different in application as well.

One really has to be careful and have the correct code available to make any kind of analysis as to qualification procedures, application, processes included as pre-qualified, etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2012 06:39
I find this post a little scary. It sounds as if you are being asked to qualify a welder or possibly a WPS.

How can you even consider doing the work if you don't have a copy of the applicable welding standard? It is clear that you are not familiar with the requirements of the welding standard in question. This is not surprising considering you don't have a copy of the code to use as a reference.

A CWI asking to borrow a copy of a code is like a carpenter asking to borrow someone else's hammer.

The cost of maintaining a library of standards is just one of the many things that must be included in a business plan that offers professional services. It is a cost of doing business. Whether you are a lawyer or a bricklayer, as a professional you are expected to have the necessary tools required to do the work. A professional without the tools of his trade isn't going to succeed in the long run. In our profession, i.e., as a CWI or SCWI, having access to the appropriate standard is a basic tool of our trade.

When working as an employee, the employer is responsible for providing the necessary tools to properly execute the work. When working as an independent contractor, the individual offering his services is expected to provide their own tools.

If you want to be in business for yourself, buy a copy of the code you need so you have all the information. This is an opportune time to purchase a copy of the code from an on-line source. You can add it to your library of references. Even if you don't end up using it on this project, you will have it for the next job and by then you will be familiar with the requirements.

An assumption that D1.3 is "like" D1.1 or D1.5 is like D1.1 will get you and your client into deep cow poo very quickly. Get a copy of the code, read it, get familiar with it and then go talk to the client. If you get your information wrong the first time, you will not be asked back for a second time.

The bottom line is this; a decision must be made whether the job justifies purchasing the applicable code or not, if the job doesn't justify the cost of purchasing the code, pass the job onto someone else. The decision not to purchase the necessary standards is like a carpenter deciding not to buy a saw. The scope of work he can do will be severely limited.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-08-2012 13:02
Al's right.  You must have the code.  You might find that the job won't cover your costs.

To me, in general, D1.3 is a tack welding code.  Many of the welds are 1" in total length.  I think the longest is 4" (grooves and bevels).  No tensile tests or radio graphs.  Many of the tests are break tests (measure / examine the nugget).  D1.3 is sort of an add-on to D1.1. 

Don't take my word for it, read it for yourself.

Keith
- - By jbndt (**) Date 03-08-2012 22:35
AWS D1.4 is an add on to D1.1 too. :wink:

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2012 21:15
To say D1.4, D1.2, or any of the D1.X codes are simply add on's to D1.1 can get the inexperienced inspector or fabricator into serious trouble.

Each D1.X code is a separate code with specific requirements that may be nothing like D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 03-14-2012 17:52
Ordered D1.3 and D1.6. Can someone provide some material thickness do I can provide the company to practice for GMAW and GTAW.

If you need some more parameters or info please respond or PM me.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3 welder qualification test?