Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inverter tig vs. transformer tig.
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 12-24-2002 15:08
what is the track record of the maxstars vs. the synchrowaves in the small tig units? Miller does not seem to back up the inverters the same as the traditional transformer units. I realize the ac is not availible on the maxstars, but are they rugged and dependable? It freaks me out to think that a 12 lb. unit can generate 140 amps of juice. Does the thing glow red when you run it?!
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 12-24-2002 18:24
hey bzzzzzzzzzzzzz,
i bought a maxstar 140 str a few weeks ago. 10 lbs not 12. it doesnt glow red, and if you exceed the duty cycle it shuts off. the only time you know it is on, is when the fan comes on. a friend has a diff brand of small inverter and swears by it and his dad has a maxstar 140 and loves it. i couldnt believe the arc running off my trailbalzer 110 outlet. it didnt seem any diff off the 220 outlet. tig, 6010 and 7018. it gives 100% duty cycle @ 80 amps, weld all day with 3/32 6010 and 110 amps, 100% on 220, all day with 3/32 7018. make sure on 110 outlet you have enuff amps available cause i made pig tails and stuck it a regular garage outlet and it had problems just tryin to start the 3/32 6010. what kind of service do you expect from it? whatcha welding?
rich
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 12-24-2002 20:44
welding very light stuff. stainless 20/24 gauge. maybe some light angle or flat stock. I really like the idea of portability and 120 volt option. I have well-wired 120 outlets in my garage. Their not just extensions from original, old wiring. What concerns me is not whether inverters work brand new, but the long haul dependabilty. Miller is a respected name in the business though. Anyone out there work repair in the last few years? Seen many inverter tigs? I hear repairs on them can be very pricey. The choice so far is between millermatic 135 or maxstar 140. The maxstar would be tough learning curve for me, but sounds as if it'll do some really precise stuff.
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 12-25-2002 00:22
I have a 140 and love it. It sounds like it would do exactly what you need it to. The nice thing about the 140 is that you can stick weld if its windy, outside, ect. And you can tig weld if your application calls for it. I no when I got mine 3 years ago they had been giving them to mech. contractors with just a black finish and no logo and told them to abuse them. after two years using them every day there were no failures. Soon after that I bought mine. I dont know how much your going to use yours but I certainlly dont use mine hard like they did every day. It has a very smooth arc, stick welds and tigs great. I often take mine to the mountains when I go, fits in a small alum box I bought. I think they even come with a case now. Also They have a model which has a port for remote amp control via finger or foot control. They did not offer that when I got mine. I am on construction sites every day and more and more the 140 is what your seeing for light work, or sanitary pipeliners. If your working with stainless I use a rod made by stoody called versalloy, it works great with the 140 and you can weld almost any kind of s/s or mild steel. Hope this helps let us know what you get. Chub380
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inverter tig vs. transformer tig.