Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / pressure vessel internals
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 03-06-2012 18:38
Hi all,
I asked about , weather pressure vessel internal parts as baffels or dmester  shall conform
to one of the specifications given in ASME Section II or not .
THANKS ALL
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-06-2012 18:52
In my experience, if the internal parts are not subject to pressure, no.
Back in my days of erector engineer, I've erected Code stamped pressure vessels whose internals were specified to be AISI 410 (example: trays) or SAE 1020 (example: vortex breaker).
AISI and SAE standards are different ones than ASME Div. II
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 03-07-2012 13:40
Hi

I want to add to what Prof Crissi said. If you are welding the non pressure part directly to the pressure part, then you need to make sure it is a pressure vessel grade material. If not, then not required. Often doubler plates are welded against the vessel wall, which is made of PV grade material, and then the non pressure parts are welded to the doubler plates.

Also keep in mind that you are able to use materials not shown in ASME II to make PV's, but you need to follow the rules as laid down by the code when doing this. This is often done to use BS or EN grades of PV grade materials in ASME vessels.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-07-2012 18:17
Refer to UW-5 (b). You will find your answer.
- By nanduayilliath Date 11-21-2018 13:46
Hallo all

I had a doubt..i cam across a vessel drawing at my plant..It has a cone plate..the vessel diameter is 800 mm and the height is 5 meters..I need to do  DP below the cone plate inside the vessel as per the plant inspection requirement.Is it possible to do confined space in it?the entry has to be made from the top of the vessel..I was planning for rope access..Is that OK?please help me someone
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / pressure vessel internals