Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AR400F
- - By rhoople47 (**) Date 12-27-2002 13:02
What weld wire, or rod, would be best for welding this Mat.? Is there a special shielding gas combination that also should be used? The material is going to be used in a conveyor fed shot blast booth.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-27-2002 14:42
This depends on the weld requirements. Undermatched filler metal would be used and if wear resistance is needed at the weld, it could be overlayed. A good source for the information may be the manufacturer.

G Austin
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-27-2002 14:43
I'm not sure which filler metal is best but, we recently fabricated some log hoppers and chutes for a paper mill using AR400F liners and bumper plates. Lots of impact and winter sees sub zero temps at times. The material manufacturer recommended using E7018 or E71T-1 for AR400F to AR400F and A36 to AR400F. This is the same as we have done in the past for this customer, and that mill also does repair welds with the same electrodes. So far, it seems to work OK.
It might pay to contact the manufacturer of your materials for their recommendations.

Hope this helps,
CHGuilford
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 01-07-2003 19:46
Well, we used both the E7018 and the E71T-1 with poor results. all the welds cracked, vertical up and horiz. we even tried preheating,to no avail. The only thing that worked was a rod high in manganese, about 17% min., but thanx anyway, I learned something.

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-08-2003 14:15
Thanks for letting us know about your failures and succcesses. The information could be very useful in the future. The E71T-1 had worked fine for our application and was recommended by the material manufacturer. I wonder if the "recipe" for AR400F varies significantly between manufacturers? I think it does but am not sure. Either way I hope your R&D wasn't very expensive and, again, thanks for the info.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2003 14:26
I had used E-71T11 for fabrication using AR 400 1/4" material with no cracks except for those cases when the joint was impropery fitup. Usually too narrow of a groove. This was used for welding of fan impeller blade wear pads on industrial blowers.

G Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2003 16:19
We (our maint. guys) used a SMAW rod that was high in manganese on our shot blast when we repair baffles on the inside of our shot blast machine. They always have worked well for us in the past. I'm not sure what grade material the thing is made of. The people at Blastec recommended the rod to our maint. guys. They are working on a crane in the ceiling right now or I would ask them the number on that rod for you.
John Wright
Parent - - By kpauley (*) Date 01-08-2003 19:17
I would love to know that SMAW rod, whenever it is convienient. We're having problems with our shot blaster (as usual) and need to weld in some baffle plates as well. Thanks, KP
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2003 20:01
KP,
There are two brands that he has used. First, "STOODY" 1/8" Nicromang,
Second, "STULTZ" 1/8" Manganese XL.

Hope this works for you,
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2003 20:08
Those shot blast machines eat themselves up, and we are always having to work on ours too. Bolts go away to where you cant get a wrench on them. Ours has a basket that holds smaller items to keep them from being lost inside the machine. We had to fab one out of reinforcing rods to get one to last any length of time.
Good Luck with your blast,
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2003 20:11
I called Blastec to ask what type of material the blast was made of and they said it was manganese plate.
Just a note,
John Wright
Parent - By kpauley (*) Date 01-08-2003 22:16
Thanks John, Yeah when we bought ours the first thing that I read in the manual was "This Machine is Canabalistic" and boy was that statement ever true! KP
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AR400F