Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Grinding on a D1.1 weld
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-20-2012 15:40
In my 30 years as a welder, it has been my unfortunate experience to run into QC personnel that pull that "no grinding" crap. I have come to the conclusion that these are, 99% of the time, people who have no practical welding experience of their own. These are also usually the type of inspectors that have the "us vs. them" attitude when dealing with welders. The no grinding policy is ridiculous and serves no purpose other than to give these misguided individuals a sense of power over the "lowly welder".
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-27-2012 19:36
WeldinFool

I don't know what you are complaining about, you after 30 years surely can produce a welded bead in a test condition that does not require grinding.

If you ever come to the shop here and take our welder qualification test it will not allow you to grind.

You see that is a requirement of the AWS D1.5 Bridge code and as it is more stringent than D1.1 by testing our welders this way it allows me to write papers qualifying personnel to both codes.

Whereas if I allowed a grinder and a customer came in with a spec saying welders qualified to AWS D1.5 required I would have to give all concerned the more stringent no grinding on test procedure anyway and basically wasting the first testing time and material.

But since you have stirred the pot I will also say that if you can not produce weld bead to the specified profile and you are wanting to receive pay as a welder I don't want to have to pay you to do menial tasks like knocking the reinforcement off if it is too much.

It isn't about us versus them, as I am an employee also and my job is to gain my employer the most bang for the buck.

I am not going to guide you through the visual acceptance criteria but as I said if you have to pick up your grinder then you are not a qualified enough welder for me as your wasting time doing so cuts into my bonuses and raises.

Just my ¢¢'s

Good Luck

Marshall

PS there are plenty of fly by night shops that will let you go to work for them some don't even test further than you being able to run a flat fillet weld.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-28-2012 15:38
Wow, wackobird, thanks for reaffirming my opinions. You have aptly addressed both of my concerns when dealing with QC personnel that have no welding experience. Seriously, though, I do have to apologize concerning the no grinding policy on a D1.5 qualification test, my experience is 90% industrial piping and I had no idea this was in the code. I have never had to test for a bridge shop. I have, however passed several tests for gas companies that didn't allow the use of a grinder and am fully capable. I would submit to you that maybe you lighten up a little bit and don't take yourself so seriously, life is too good!
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-28-2012 16:32
WeldinFool

I welded (and still can pass any qualification) for over 35 years before becoming an AWS CWI.
I learned to strike an arc at 11 cutting up cars for my uncle and could manipulate a weld puddle at 12. Held my first job in trade at 15.
I placed in the National V.I.C.A. (S.E.N.SE now I think) welding competition back in 1969 and worked at industrial welding until going into the Navy to avoid the draft in 1971 where I was assigned welding repair duties on a 28 year old destroyer heading to Vietnam. Because of my skill we were able to make all our gunline commitments and for this I was awarded the Secretary of the Navy Achievement Medal with the Combat Action V. I was welding Alum, Steel, and Stainless with SMAW and brazing and soldering copper and Brass. You know I have never failed a test and if my profile is not what it should be I knew how to adjust.
When you allow a person in ideal conditions to squeeze by with their test you are just prolonging the inevitable of letting them go.
Again an Employer is not a training condition, like I said a Welder should be able to weld efficiently which will increase his worth and solidify his position.
I know you were just venting.
But think about if the tables were turned If you hired a welder to weld you stuff and he spent time grinding instead of welding would you pat him on the back or replace the add in the paper?

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2012 18:14
Marshall

V.I.C.A.  is now known as "Skills U.S.A."

You have never failed a weld test?

Yikes....  I've busted a few over the decades.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-28-2012 18:28
Lawrence

That is right it is SKILLS USA, I knew it started with a (S).

One time I went and took a test for a conveyor company outside of Fort Worth. They told me to weave a fillet weld Vertical upward progression with FCAW and when I got through he said although it look ok he wanted a certain look. I asked what he meant and he took me out in the shop and showed me some of the welds on one of those thingy that you walk from the gate to the door of the plane. It looked like scales on a snakes back. I asked if I could get my hood and see it developed and after fifteen minutes of watching this man of Mexican decent I went in and passed the test for real with him offering me a job. I said no thank you it was a lot of waste in my book and since I am of a Stoic nature I couldn't see really enjoying the job..

But other than that I have passed all the tests as given first time. But as I mentioned I was Blessed with some Great Mentors and chances for education.

Marshall
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-28-2012 18:35
All,

I would like to apologize for my earlier comments concerning this topic (which is a great one, by the way). I stumbled onto this thread while exploring this incredible forum of which I am a new member and did not take the time to see that this section is titled "D1 Questions". I am a pipefitter-welder by trade, and the term "no grinding" when it concerns a pipe test is not heard very often, but it would go without saying that you would not be permitted to grind on a pipe weld cap to make it presentable. Grinding on tacks, root passes, and 7018 starts is expected, and I would think a welder is a damn fool if he didn't do this. I'm just coming from a different perspective on the thing, and I apologize again for any raised blood pressure or thrown wrenches I might have caused.

Glad to be here (waccobird, I looked at some of your other posts, where's my "welcome to the forum"?),

Weldin (now actually working as Welding Supervisor/CWI for a worldwide company) Fool.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-28-2012 19:31
WeldinFool

Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum

Sorry I didn't start with that before but I have not been myself this past week,(wifey's sister passeed while Wifey's Mom was in the Hospital from having a pacemaker installed because of heart attack last week prior to her daughters death she is 86 and it was hell telling her her baby girl was found dead even if she was plagued with medical problems).

If you had posted this in the ASME Code questions I would of just sat back and learned as I have no code books that aren't 20 years old so I rarely post there.

and Lawrence I didn't mention I have only taken one test for pipe and it was for Stainless utilizing T.I.G back then (GTAW now) all the rest have been D1.1 and D1.5. But I have done a lot of unqualified repairs on the 600# 750°F Superheated boiler and Steam Lines,(12" Pipe) never having to drain and repair again after fix.

But again WeldinFool Welcome to the Forum

Good Luck
Marshall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Grinding on a D1.1 weld
1 2 Previous Next