Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gas for plasma cutting G-30 matl???
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-14-2012 13:48
Was wondering what is the ideal gas for plasma cutting G-30.

On the laser table we use a 55% Nitrogen, 40% Helium, 5% Co2

Thanks in advance,
QCRobert
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 03-15-2012 01:25
Is the g30 you refer to the hastelloy alloy or a galvanized product
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-15-2012 13:04
Hastelloy
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-15-2012 14:11
Robert,

If you are just doing some hand cutting of basic shapes and lines, compressed air will do the trick, and it will cut very much like austinetic stainless.

If you are doing high speed patterns in a production atmosphere where edge perfection is key, then you might look into multi-part gasses.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-15-2012 14:31
Yeah we will be cutting numerous parts on the water table.

We haven't cut G-30 for a couple of years and I was asked about the correct gas so I threw the subject out here.

Will check with Purchasing Dept for gas mixtures purchased for those Hastelloy jobs in the past.

Thanks,
QCRobert
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 03-15-2012 18:10
I would look at H35 (35%hydrogen/balance argon) for the plasma gas, 100% nitrogen for the shielding gas.  This is very common for thick (3/4" and up) stainless and aluminum cutting.  You would have to verify that your machine is capable of using this mix, and generally, some slightly different consumables are needed in the torch.  If your material is thinner, you can sometimes use lesser percentages of H2 in the plasma gas.  Jim Colt from Hypertherm is a real good source for plaz cutting info.  He is on this forum as "jimcolt" and would be a great resource.  I do not know what the impact of H2 is on the base metal, but that should be carefully investigated.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-19-2012 18:16 Edited 03-27-2012 22:40
Thank you.

Update, as you stated "I would look at H35 (35%hydrogen/balance argon) for the plasma gas," is in concurrence with Mark Britton of Haynes International.

QCRobert
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gas for plasma cutting G-30 matl???