Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question on "Stress Category" in Table2.5 of AWS D1.1
- - By allenliao (*) Date 03-15-2012 16:22
Gents,

I am not sure by what the stress categories "A,B...to F" are characterized? Where are the definition of these stress catergories coming from?

thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2012 22:38
Tables 2.5 and 2.7 (D1.1-2008) show various configurations and geometries that are categoried as A, B, C, etc.

Once the engineer has determined which fatigue category applies and once he has determine the stress range (highest stress minus the lower stress) and the number of cycles requires fatigue to be considered, the appropriate "curve" is selected from the S-N graph. One thing to remember is that the stress range does not have to involve a complete stress reversal (compression to tension to compression) for fatigue to become a factor in the design.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 03-17-2012 16:07
Hi

I don't think there is a specific definition for each stress category. Rather, the stress category is chosen by reading the description, and inspection of the illustration. By knowing the particular stress category, the designer knows which design equations to use, and what "constants" etc to use for those calculations.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By allenliao (*) Date 03-19-2012 09:12
Thank you! it's very helpful for me in learning this Code.

Allen

Best Regards!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question on "Stress Category" in Table2.5 of AWS D1.1