Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The quality of steel
- - By cajun welder (**) Date 03-17-2012 02:15
I would like to know if any of you have noticed that. I have been putting together some runway beams for overhead cranes using some 18X35 and 21X44 I- beams and when you look down the flange you can see it makes an (s) in it. Also when looking at the flange like this (I), the flange is bent. The cap channel (10X15.3) isn't any better, it has a crown in the web. I'm working on my 6th building this year with an overhead crane, and have 3 more as of now. I turned down a load of I-beams earlier this year because of metal flaking off, leaving as much as a 3/16" depression, sometimes 1 1/2" wide X 3" long. Just curious.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-17-2012 13:15
cajun welder

You get what you pay for generally speaking and they will send you what they can get away with.

If any of our suppliers tried to ship us inferior steel they would not be one of our suppliers.

There are standards that have to be met if the steel is to be considered ASTM A6 acceptable.

The Wide Flange Beam and C10x15.3 you mention all have tolerances for all the instances you write about.

Just My ΒΆΒΆ's

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-17-2012 13:58
When you order steel shapes from a supplier you can specify which ASTM standard that you need the material to be in compliance with.
When the steel is delivered, as or before it's unloaded, you should inspect the materials for compliance with the spec. Try ASTM A992.
There is a significant amount of "crookedness" allowed in the spec but if the material is beyond those tolerances you have every right to reject it right then. Rejected material can be loaded back on or never unloaded from the truck. Then you get to call the salesman and fuss until they send you compliant steel.
It sure is a lot easier and safer to bolt up straight steel.
I'd be willing to bet the steel you've received is obtained from foreign sources.
Over the years I've become leary of Chineese, Russian and French steels.
Domestic steels are usually better, but not always.
It's imporant to inspect the steel right on the truck no matter who made it.
Don't forget to inspect for "seams" and plate "laminations" while you're at it.

Tim
Parent - By cajun welder (**) Date 03-18-2012 15:08
I try to inspect all material before its unloaded, but the way they have it stacked inside each another makes it difficult. Just unloaded some channel from Poland, and beams from Spain. Hope these are better.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-20-2012 20:09
I've never heard someone complaining about Brazilian made shapes. Why don't you go Brazilian next time you buy steel shapes, Cajun? Just a suggestion.
But there's another chance, Cajun. Were the shapes you're talking about calculated correctly?

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - BRazil
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 03-20-2012 21:30
I know of a Brazilian shape that lives just down the street.  Can't wait till summer comes and she's back out mowing the lawn....:evil:

QCRobert
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 03-21-2012 03:10
We need the "Facebook" like button here....
Parent - By cajun welder (**) Date 03-21-2012 23:38
Thanks Giovanni,
I'm not the one that purchases the material, but if I did I would specify what I wanted. I'll talk to purchasing and see if the company we buy from can get some.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 03-22-2012 08:33
A lot of my welding is oil field related. Lately I've had quite a few firetubes to fab up, for vertical treaters. The ones I weld up are used on wells that are sour. I know there are a few variables to consider,but as a rule,the ones I fab up for these particular treaters,used on these sour wells usually last about 8 to 10 years. I keep track how long they last,because any oil company,even with high oil prices,still wat h their expenses. Well one of these only lasted 13 months before it pitted bad and resulted in a leak and fire on location. I do know that heat of the pilot along with the H2S is rough on steel,but 13 months is not very long. The last one on this treater lasted about 9 years. Not sure if it is junk steel or what. Any one else out in the oil field have this issue building fire tubes?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-23-2012 03:50
NM, I have run into Cameron wellheads lately that I have a feeling are being machined with lower quality base metal. Welding along, enjoying life, when all of a sudden a dime size cavern opens up before my very eyes. Gotta stuff the rod, fill real quick, and keep moving before I lose what I got. Not good, and it pisses me off. That has happened twice in the last three batch of heads I put on...............
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The quality of steel