Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Symbol
- - By Drew Wetzel Date 03-20-2012 17:52
If you want a fillet on both sides do you have to put the weld size on both sides or can you just put it on one side and it is assumed both are the same?
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-20-2012 23:22
If you note 3/16ths in at the end of the v of your weld symbol it will be understood as both sides. 95% sure I am correct with the info I gave you. 3/16ths on one side or the other would be side specific. Hope that helps
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-21-2012 02:56 Edited 03-21-2012 03:04
Each side to be welded must be dimensioned separately. The dimension in the tail means nothing.

Here's a cut from AWS A2.4-2007

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-21-2012 10:28
Drew,
Never assume ANYTHING!!
Weld symbols is a common discussion on this forum and it's also very common for them to be incorrect.
Stick with what AWS 2.4 calls for and you'll be all set.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-22-2012 14:19
Yeah, about the time you assume anything on a blueprint that some cad hand in an office drew.....that's when you can go ahead and find another job. It's your fault when you "cant" follow a simple blue print, according to "them". The last time I was on a bent beam job, I asked so many questions, they drew up some different plans,,,,,,,,that we could understand!

Structural guys are a different breed sometimes. If the plans are lacking detail it's not your fault, and you should question the man who drafted them.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 03-24-2012 03:55
sourdough said it.   Your job is to build it to match the pictures not design it on the fly.    If the engineer cant put it on the drawing they better be around to answer your calls.

Personally i think CAD is one of the worst things to happen to the trades.   Anymore it seems like all of these structural jobs are just cut and paste from previous jobs and they don't do enough dimensioning and back checking to even make sure their designs and drawings work from one page to another.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Symbol