Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder for service truck?
- - By Cliff Date 12-30-2002 00:06
We recently bought a service truck for on our farm and I am wanting advice on what engine driven welders to look for and what to avoid. I would like something at least 170 amps and it must be able to provide 120 volts to run electric tools. I would like to spend around $500 or less but from what I have seen that may not be possible and puts anything very new out of the picture. I was thinking of something like a Bobcat or Ranger or something of comparable size. Our service truck has an enclosed body so I am limited to a welder about 50" long, weight is not an issue. I've seen a couple of Lincoln Lincweld welders, are they any good? This will only be for our own general farm repair work that can't be done in the shop so it doesn't have to be perfect but at the same time we need something reliable.
Parent - By chaikwa (*) Date 12-30-2002 01:26
I had a Miller Bobcat that I ran for at least 15 years, and it was an excellent machine. I eventually ended up having to replace the motor because it was burning more oil than gas, but it had in excess of 3000 hours on it! After I replaced the motor, I started having other things go bad, and it just started nickle and diming me to death. So, recently, I bought a new Miller Trailblazer. I've always had Miller stuff and have been very pleased with it. Like anything though, when it's used up, it's all over.
Just be aware that even when a machine looks like new, as my old Miller did, it can still have it's problems. When you have to work on it for 8 hours to get it to run for 3, it isn't a very good value! I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".
Hope you find something to suit your needs. Lrt us all know what you end up doing!
Chaikwa.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder for service truck?