Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Autogenous Qualification
- - By pataterchip (**) Date 03-22-2012 16:40
I have a project where we are being asked to weld a 0.020" thk sleeve to a 0.060" cap, in a edge joint configuration. Our customer has had success welding these autogenously in the past and in light of the fact that the weld will only serve as a water barrier and will not be used for strength I would like to do the same. The material is 316L to 316L we are required to qualify our WPS to section IX but I am struggling to figure out what test would be required. I plan to use pulsed GTAW. Any advice on the qualification testing?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-13-2012 13:18 Edited 04-13-2012 13:38
I just stumbled across this post. I see no one has responded. Ouch!

The procedure would be qualified just like any other procedure except you would not employ a filler metal. That being the case, you may have to machine the plates to provide extra material that can be consumed during the welding operation or you may have to machine the face and root surfaces to get to sound metal for the purpose of performing the guided bend tests and reduced section tensile tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 04-16-2012 06:06
I thought the OP is a tricky question by a Welding Engineer, CWI + 18years of experience :lol:
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Autogenous Qualification