Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CWI question
- - By rhoople47 (**) Date 12-30-2002 13:34
I am a new CWI and was wondering if I'm qualified to work under the British code. We have a new customer from Spain, we are going to be making fuel tanks for locomatives, that will be made here, and used here. The customer doesn't like the fact that AWS has prequalified WPS's and has requested that we use the British standard. So, again my question, am I qualified to inspect under that set of standards?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-30-2002 14:52
I know there is reciprocity between CSWIP and CWI but am not sure if it goes both ways. My advice is to contact Terry Perez, Director of Certification at AWS. You can find her e-mail contact under "Contact Us" on the Home Page. I do have a comment however, that is, in my opinion, I do not believe the "pre-qualified" WPS' you are referring to are suitable for fuel tanks, i.e., pressure vessels. If you are in reference to truly "pre-qualified" WPS' those fall under the Structural Welding Code- AWS D1.1 which is not intended for pressure vessels. If you are in reference to an AWS B2.XXX Standard, those may be used for pressure vessels and have ASME approval however, please be cautious in using the B2.XXX Standards as some form of testing may also be required in your particular situation, depending on fabricating code requirements.
Parent - - By Daon (*) Date 12-31-2002 16:45
Hi rhoople47

The answer is maybe (!).
Under the British code, BS5500
1.1 Scope
This standard applies to only to pressure vessels manufactured under the survey of a competent engineering Inspection agency or Organzization. The intent of this requirement may be regarded as satisfactory where inspection is carried out by competent personnel of a seperate engineering inspection department maintained by the purchaser of the vessel. An inspection department maintained by the manufacturer does not satisfythis requirement except:
a) that specific responsibilities may be delegated at the descretion of the inspecting authority....
Regarding prequalified WPS's the answer is NO. Even ASME has givin leeway to prequalified welding procedures but I think it will take many years before the European community agrees to this.
Check howerver the specific design code, that's what they taught us to do!
Daon
Parent - By rhoople47 (**) Date 01-07-2003 19:55
The standard in question is BS EN 288-3 1992/A1:1997. Does this make my question any easier to define?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2003 11:51
Daon;

I'm not sure if your answer re WPS is aimed at SWPS's, i.e., B2 documents but if it is, I think we should be cautious with our terminology. B2 SWPS are not prequalified as in some D1.1 procedures, SWPS's are supported by PQR's. Those PQR's are provided by industry for review by the WRC prior to AWS deciding on publication. Maybe it's just a personal problem, but whenever I hear the term "Prequalified" I know the discussion is about AWS D1.1 since that is, to my knowledge, the only Code which uses that terminology. Sorry if I missed your point!
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 01-08-2003 18:35
Hi

As I am not from America I can not comment on the American system, but I believe that if your customer is from Spain, then the American system is not really what is important. Rather, you have to establish how the Europeans (your customer) expect inspection work to be performed.

In South Africa, we have an Inspection Authority system that is similar to that in Europe. (Not necessarily exactly the same however.) This is how it works:

All work that falls within certain definitions (vessels under pressure) must be "supervised" by an approved inspection authority. (IA) The actual inspection work is performed by personnel that have been registered as "Inspectors of Pressurized Equipment". (IPE's) These IPE's are not free agents. They have to work under the auspices of an IA. The question then becomes: Is the IA qualified to supervise work to the European code? This question is answered by looking at the scope of registration of the IA.

From the tone of your question, it appears that you are the fabricator's inspector. (Employed directly by the fabricator.) If so, you do not qualify to "supervise" the work to any code, because you are not an independent third party inspector. The issue here not being your ability, but rather your relationship with the fabricator.

Just a further point: I see in another post that you are to perform the welding to EN288. You must however understand that EN288 is the REFENCED code. The REFERENCING code (e.g BS5500/PD5500 or ADM) may require additional testing of procedures, or limit the approved ranges of the welding procedures. As such, these codes need to also be checked for requirements. (e.g. ADM expects impact testing on almost all welding procedures, while PD5500 requires all-weld tensiles.)

If there are any personnel from Europe reading this, they may be able to give a better answer.

Hope this helps in some way

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CWI question