Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tires
- - By tigrooter (**) Date 03-25-2012 21:07
Ye old goat needs a set of shoes. What's everybody running on there rigs now? Needing a ten ply or better mud grip tire.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 03-25-2012 21:21
They're a little pricing but I like the Goodyear wrangler duratrac.  It's a medium duty load range E tire.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-25-2012 22:12
I run Cooper STT. I have had VERY good luck with them
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 03-30-2012 22:45
What kind of mileage you getting out of the tires cactus?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-30-2012 23:58
I change them between 30-40k need it or not. My rig weighs close to 18k. So, it's hard on tires
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-25-2012 23:39
I was running the BFG MTII E rated 10 ply, and they held up pretty good for me. I couldn't get the BFG and went with a cheaper radial MTX tire by Wild Country and these are doing pretty well for me also and were $500/set cheaper than the BFGs were.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-26-2012 00:40
My Kumhos have worn pretty good. I am impressed.

Not a single flat. 20k miles. 11 thousand pound rig.....that's pretty good.
Parent - - By Belba (**) Date 03-26-2012 05:20
I run nitto terra grappler a/t's they wear like iron. Ride soft and smooth and are super quiet going down the road. Had really good luck with them in the mud rain and snow. I love them. Anyone who I have talked to about them before I got them said you will replace them from dry rot before you wear them all the way down.
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-28-2012 05:21
I run nitto terras on both my rig and my inspection truck. They run great on both enough traction to get out of a rough spot but quiet as well and last a 60 k with rough use. Had used the nitto mud graplers once and yeah they looked cool but the crappiest tire i have ever owned lasted all of sixteen k on the rig and was so loud you had to yell while talking on the phone down the road.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-27-2012 00:22
I had General grabbers a few years ago and they were excellent. Good wear, good ride. Next set was a round of Kelly Safari's. They were pretty good tires but did not last near as long as the Generals. This year put on a set of Yokohama Geolander's on there now. These Yokohama's are the worst tires I have owned to date. Feels like I'm riding on a buckboard.
- - By atc250r (**) Date 03-25-2012 23:12
Yup, Goodyear Duratrac.  Very good, durable tire.  Its actually a commercial rated tire and great traction in mud, snow and ice.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-25-2012 23:35 Edited 03-26-2012 02:08
Michelin XPS traction.    DAMN DAMN DAMN durable.    Their brother the XPS RIB is way tougher than any of the so called "G"  load range tires i have ever run in the 16" size.

I had a trailer that would eat up a pair of G load range tires in less than a 1000 miles, the XPS RIB's were the only set i ever wore out on that trailer.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 03-25-2012 23:58
Michelin will be my next set. I have run Firestone ht for a good number of years and this last set is it, done.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-27-2012 04:27
Goodyear wrangler authority from walmart ain't had a flat yet
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-28-2012 03:58
Wagon wheels are pretty durable at low speeds.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-28-2012 05:34
Nitto...... Hillbilly, did the Mud Grapplers wear off the back as they did up front?? Been considering covering the back end with em, cause they aint steering. Aint looking to put mud grips on the front no more. If four wheel drive cant handle it without mudders up front, bring me the trackhoe. Tired of wearing them out.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-28-2012 05:35
Ive been having bubble issues with Goodyear the last few years. No one else?
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 03-28-2012 05:39
I do agree with Duallie, though. Michelin cant be beat if you aint looking oversized. Excellent shoes.
Parent - - By Belba (**) Date 03-28-2012 07:28
Yeah Michelins are good if you want to spend a ton of money on them. I ordered my tires from discounttiredirect.com and got nitto terra grapplers 275/60r20 delivered to my front door for 1000 even after shipping and tax. That's hard to beat for any tire that size. The tires I replaced were 275/55r20 pro comp xtreme mud terrains and it would have cost me 2400 in rubber alone to get another set. I personally love my terra grapplers. Great looking tires and I've had really good experiences with them considering I have a 10,000lb truck and have close to 10k miles on these tires and they still look the same as the day I had the mounted. One more thing I highly recommend discounttiredirect.com they had my tires listed for 275 a piece and I called and talked to a sales rep and told him if he could sell me all 4 for $1000 delivered I'd take them and guess what? He talked to his manager and they approved the deal great customer service and an even better product. And to the person who recommended the general grabbers they are good tires but they have to soft of a compound and these heavy trucks eat them up. Hope this helps
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 03-30-2012 23:20
I'm on my 2nd set of Toyo M-55's and they're virtually indestructible! Great traction in ALL conditions,clean out well and haven't let me down. Bob.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tires