Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Grinding Classifications
- - By Del Hoover Date 04-04-2012 17:21
Good afternoon all,

I have recently taken a position as a process engineer with a sheet metal job shop and have been tasked with developing a classification system for grinding, specifying style and type of grinding required on any given part. 

As we all have seen in the past our customers are usually very good at telling what they expect as far as the welding is concerned, but tend to leave the grinding requirements up to our best interpretation of what they want. I need to develop a system that I can then share with our estimating department to make sure we can define what the grinding requirements will be on a part in the quoting stage, not after we have accepted the job and already have the parts welded.

I am looking for any assistance in finding a standard classification of grinding levels that I may be able to modify for our specific needs, or if anyone has had to develop a similar system and would like to share their insights that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-04-2012 18:36
Welcome to the forum Dell!

This may be over simplified,

ANSI/AWS A2.4:2012    Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, Nondestructive Examination provides a system of symbols that represent the significance of weld profiles with the ability to make notation of process used in order to achieve any specific profile.

As a process engineer, I assume you have an appreciation of the "process control" value of requiring specific weld contours in sheet metal, and having these things in mind during the planning stages, long before production begins.

Grinding becomes less of a factor when weld profiles are clearly set forth in the production drawings.

Putting more emphisis on profile (to the welders) rather than on grinding after welding, may accomplish greater dividends for you.   Not to say grinding processes and controls aren't important and don't need to be clearly communicated.  But rather that there will be much less of it if the welding process itself gets first and formost attention.

Clearly stated weld profiles
* Reduce grinding operations significantly from the outset.
** Reduce oversized welds which in turn
***Reduce arc-on time
****Reduce Distortion
*****Reduce rework time overall
******Increase quality, production rates, profit
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 04-04-2012 19:10
Go to AISC.org and search for the document AESS (architecually exposed structural steel).  Specifically the article published in the MAy 2003 supplelment to modern steel construction magazine.  It's a great 16 page article that addresses all kinds of issues. This will referance how much and when grinding or contouring welds may be required.  It is intended for structural steel that is exposed to view (not encased in walls and floors) and it also intended for carbon steel but you may find some tips and suggestions to use and also other referances to help you out.
It should be a free download as AISC likes others to use their standards.
Good luck
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-04-2012 19:50
Let me know your e-mail (put it into a private Message to me, if you prefer) and I'll send you a copy of a four pages article on Grinding I authored years ago on Plant Engineering magazine.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-05-2012 10:31
G.S.Crisi

Mr. Crisi

As with most technical data for Metal Fabrications I would really enjoy reading it myself.

marshall@vulcansteel.us

Marshall
- By Del Hoover Date 04-09-2012 17:55
I would like to thank those of you who gave me some ideas on this project, and I hope to be of some assistance in the future to others in this forum. 

Thank you,
Del
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Grinding Classifications