Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Changes from AWS C3.4 & C3.5:1999 to 2007 edition
- - By MIaconis Date 04-04-2012 19:19
Company is updating internal brazing doc.
Where can I find the changes/updates from 1999 to 2007 edition for AWS C3.4?
Where can I find the changes/updates from 1999 to 2007 edition for AWS C3.4?

My customer is asking if we comply with 2007 edition and I do not have time to read all four docs with fine tooth comb.
Please email me any assitance at miaconis@curtisswright.com
thank you, Michael
Parent - - By Matt Pohlman (*) Date 04-11-2012 16:01
AWS does not publish the is/was changes to their brazing specifications.  Is reading through an 8 page spec once every 5 years really a burden?  You are strongly encouraged to find a quiet place and read through the entire document and keep a checklist to verify you meet all the requirements.  That said, in general, if you were meeting the 1999 versions you will meet the 2007 versions, but there were numerous tweaks made throughout and it only takes one small miss to end up with an audit finding and rejected parts.  The AWS C3 Brazing and Soldering Committee is working on revisions to the 2007 versions so plan on having to read it again in another year.  If anyone has anything they would like to see changed in C3.4, 3.5, or 3.6, or the other brazing specifications, this forum would be a good place to post it.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 05-08-2012 16:18
If you're updating the Brazing Codes, consider these two examples from AWS B2.2. 

Table E.1 should include a type for regular air.  The braze procedure document has a space for an atmosphere type.  Those listed seem to be for an enclosed area.  Adding a footnote would be helpful.

Also, the overlap formula at 4.3.11.2 is wordy.  I've spent many minuets considering what it trying to say.  Adding an example, or sketch would help.

"4.3.11.2 For lap or socket joints, a decrease in the overlap length from that qualified based on the following
     formula:
     where
     OL1 = The overlap length used on the test coupon
     OL2 = The overlap length on the production part
     T1 = The thickness of the thinner member of the test coupon
     T2 = The thickness of the thickest production part
     The required overlap shown on the BPS may be expressed as a minimum dimension or as a ratio of part thickness."

Thanks,

Keith
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Changes from AWS C3.4 & C3.5:1999 to 2007 edition