Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification
- - By magesh (*) Date 04-06-2012 12:31
Hi

I am a Qualified (CWI) Welding Inspector. Am i eligible for witness for a welder's test and sign off in the welder certificate document?
Because all these welders are our own workshop welders.

Otherwise should i engage third party like BV,LR,GL,ABS etc to witness the test and sign off in the welder certificate? Why shouldn't i?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-06-2012 15:14
The answer to your question should be found within the scope of your company's quality program and the contract doccuments of your clients.

Many companies have internal quality programs where welder performance qualification is done in house.

Rather than provide a solid Yes or No, it might be best to look at your own operating structure and see where you fit.

:)
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-06-2012 21:37
Hello Magesh;

Whereas you are working under the auspices of AWS D1.1 there is no requirement that a CWI or a third party inspector be involved with the qualification of the welding procedure specification or welder performance qualification testing.

If you are authorized by your employer (by virtue of the subject being addressed in the quality control manual with the assumption your company has one) you may legally sign the performance test records on behalf of your employer. You are acting on behalf of your employer when you are given the authority to do so. As the authorized individual you can certify the procedure test records, the welding procedure specifications, and the welder performance test records when working IAW AWS D1.1.

That being said, "He who holds the Gold makes the rules." is something we all have to keep in mind. The Owner, i.e., your client, can make it a contractual requirement that a third party be involved in overseeing the qualification of a WPS or a welder. When invoked, it is a contractual requirement, not a code requirement. Who pays for the third Party involvement? That is another subject that should be addressed by the project specification. In this country, the Owner, i.e., the client typically pays for any third party oversight.

In any event, the welder's employer is always responsible to see that the welders are properly qualified and the employer is responsible for certifying the welder has passed the requisite qualification tests by virtue of affixing the employer’s (in this case your signature) after the certifying statement and dating the document.

I hope I've answered the question. If not ask again with more specific information relative to your situation.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification