Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Heat Input Calculation
- - By magesh (*) Date 04-11-2012 00:54
Hi

Just a quick query regarding  heat input range on the WPS's.

Which method calculate the WPS heat input range ? Please advice
(The value based on the PQR heat input value  to calculate WPS heat input value.)

1.Min amps x Min volts x 60 / Max travel speed x 1000 to provide the Min heat input value
  Max amps x Max volts x 60 / min travel speed x 1000 to provide the max heat input value

2. Min amps x Min volts x 60 / Min travel speed x 1000 to provide the Min heat input value
  Max amps x Max volts x 60 / max travel speed x 1000 to provide the max heat input value

Thanks,
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2012 03:29 Edited 04-11-2012 12:56
Heat input is used for a couple of reasons. In general it is required when there is a reason to limit the maximum heat input to control cooling rates and or grain size in conjunction with notch toughness. It can also be required when welding quenched and tempered steels to minimize the extent or limits of the heat affected zone to minimize the degradation of the mechanical properties in the affected areas.

You may have an occasion when there is a lower limit for the heat input, but that isn't the normal situation. It is required when qualifying a WPS that will be employed in a bridge and you are working to AWS D1.5. It provides the engineer and the welder a means of bracketing the acceptable ranges for the welding variables based on the parameters recorded on the procedure qualification record.

You need to read the applicable welding standard closely to see what is required. The formulas you listed are generally the ones used by many welding standards.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 04-11-2012 10:30
Hi magesh

I suspect that there is a question behind the question here. While the typical equation for calculating the heat input is simple enough, there is much debate in some circles, as to how to actually calculate the heat input ranges qualified according to code. I will give you my take on this, but you will probably get a lot of different opinions here.

The basic calculation for heat input is: (Amps x Volts) / Travel speed (The 60 and 1000 is to just sort out the units.)

To calculate the heat input while performing the PQR tests, I calculate the heat input for each run based on the average values of amps, volts and travel speed. This gives me a range of heat input values, based on the average values per run.

On the WPS, I give the ranges of Amps, Volts and Travel speeds based on the typical or code ranges around the values I calculated above. I also state the heat input ranges based on the code ranges. If you took the "Max Amps x Max Volts / Min travel speed" it will probably give you a value higher than the Max heat input allowed on the WPS, so some people reject this saying that these do not tie up, but the issue is that generally you will not be welding at the limits of all the values simultaneously, and if you do, then obviously it would not meet the WPS heat input range, so there is no contradiction. (To my mind.) Normally when the amps increase, then the travel speed also increases, so normally when welding at the max energy values you will be welding at the maximum travel speed which then brings the heat input back in line.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-11-2012 13:14
Nieke,
Understand where you are coming from but disagree on the alloweable ranges.
Take Duplex or Super Duplex for example - max heat input is critical.
If the WPS states ranges then the only way to ensure they are in compliance with the code is Max Amps/Volts x slowest travel speed.
If that gives you a heat input higher than the PQR then the WPS does not comply with the code,
Cheers,
BB
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 04-12-2012 12:50
Hi Shane

I know this is the debateable point. A point that I do not push very hard, as you approach certainly is the more conservative, so is not wrong. Having said this, my opinion is that if the WPS states the allowable HI range, then irrespective of what you do with the A, V & Travel Speed (TS) you need to comply with the HI range as well. As such, the WPS does not contravene the code requirements.

Keep in mind that if you specified exactly the same A, V & TS as was used in the PQR test piece, then according to your calculation the WPS would not comply with the code requirements, which just does not really make a whole lot of sense to me!

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-13-2012 00:41
Nieke,
My comment about heat input ranges was based on a recent Duplex / Super Duplex project I worked on.
As you are aware the max heat input on WPS cannot exceed that recorded on the PQR - contractor ran the PQR with stringers so high travel speed then wrote a WPS with travel speed 15% less than PQR to allow for weaving.
Any travel speed lower than that recorded on the PQR will give you a heat input greater than the max allowed unless the amps and volts are dropped accordingly.
So, if the calculations are made with (worst case scenario) - max amps, max volts, lowest travel speed then it is quite possible that the WPS could be non code compliant,
Hope that makes sense,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-11-2012 13:51
magesh

Number 1 is the correct answer to your question.
Parent - By magesh (*) Date 04-12-2012 07:08
Hi Joseph,

Noted and Thanks
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-12-2012 03:27
AWS D1.5 provides a good description of how they want the heat input calculated.

Al
Parent - By magesh (*) Date 04-12-2012 07:09
Hi Al,

Noted and Thanks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Heat Input Calculation