Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder Qualification D1.1
- - By CWI-100 Date 04-11-2012 11:15 Edited 04-11-2012 15:02
wwww
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2012 11:34
CWI-100

I will say welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum whoever you are.

It is scary you have CWI-100 for a handle but don't have the ability to ask a question correctly.

You are asking us to assume a lot here.

How can you expect a definitive answer to this.

So much is missing.

If we assume you are speaking of a Groove weld test on 3/8" and I refer you to AWS D1.1-2008, then I believe it is not qualified but to 2T (T being thickness of test), which would be 3/4" max.

But I believe if you are discussing a Groove weld qualification test you are correct in the qualification does qualify for fillet or PJP on thicker material.

I can not say definitively as your query lacks a bunch and your profile even more.

Again welcome to the Forum.

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By CWI-100 Date 04-11-2012 14:54
Wow thats how you welcome someone? I fully understand the handle waco-bird :)
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2012 15:09
CWI-100

No that is how I welcome an unknown person wanting information that is easily found in the code books and can't even word a proper question.

I mean you can't even spell when it is in front of your nose.

It is not Waco it is wacco cause to decipher some of you unknown queriers you have to be a bit wacco to understand your rudimentary mind set.

And where is the thanks for answering your elementary question?

Marshall
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2012 15:04
Hi CWI-100,
If a welder tests on 3/8" thick plate, the welder is only qualified to weld 1/8"-3/4" thick material....not up to 1". See AWS D1.1:2010 Table 4.11 Item (1) Test on Plate on page 151.

If he tested with a CJP groove weld and passed, yes, he is qualified to weld PJP. Same Table but see Note "d" at the end of the Table on page 152.

Hope this helps
Parent - By CWI-100 Date 04-12-2012 11:15
Yes thank you very much
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2012 15:06
Why did you edit your post? Was your question answered?...just curious, I was trying to help
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2012 15:11 Edited 04-11-2012 15:17
John

The OP caught me at a bad time and they didn't like my response.

And I didn't even dog on them about this area  For postings/queries strictly concerning Inspection

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-11-2012 16:12
Man,

I take the time to go out to my truck to get my D1.1 to give more info and find out Marshall scared him off!!  :lol:

Then I noticed how he responded and figured it was just as well.  Unappreciative with attitude.

I generally don't worry about those who hide their id because I understand the reasoning given by others whose companies don't want their people identifiable in some circumstances.  But they don't get many chances to show the sincerity of their participation.  When they start off on the wrong foot it really takes a while to gain acceptance. 

I thought Marshall answered pretty well actually.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2012 16:26
welderbrent

He gave me the chance to explain myself better
when he got my email from my profile and emailed me.

I said I was sorry for insulting him.

But if there was a like button to click I would click it on your post Brent.

Thanks

Marshall
Parent - - By CWI-100 Date 04-12-2012 12:05
Not scared and extremely helpful to those who ask me questions about UT my area of expertise.

I would never insult somone if their understanding on a matter needed some guidance and that is more often the case than not.

I will continue to use this new tool and if someone wants to dish me up a plate of ******** or insults me OK
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-12-2012 13:36
CWI-100,

My comment was more in jest to Marshall giving HIM a hard time about his response and it's having an effect to make you remove your OP.  I was not truly insinuating that you were actually scared of anything, especially us, well....Marshall anyway.  :lol:

Based on Marshall's comment about you two getting together for a pm, and because you stuck around and posted again after being off to a rough start, I will now go so far as to say...

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I do hope you find much here to aid in your own information needs as well as opportunities to assist others with your expertise.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-12-2012 15:40
Marshall   !
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-12-2012 15:48
Lawrence

I know I know

I will just have to be more tolerant on the internet and keep my opinions and suggestions to the Off-Topic Club.

Thanks for helping to point that out.:roll:

Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder Qualification D1.1