Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here's the door handle!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-14-2012 13:11
Haha!! Had to post a pic of the door handle of doom that raised such a fuss!! Ended up running a little preheat and stainless tig, made me think of how much I miss tig! If they pull that door handle off Superman's gonna have to go someplace else! The handle was supplied but they were about 3-3.5" square which means they have about 24" of weld to the door! Nobody is pulling that off by hand!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-14-2012 16:05
It was stainless, huh?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-14-2012 17:00
Nope, not stainless. The little birdie I told Al about had some insight somehow and he figured Armox 500 or something similar. Got it tacked and adjusted the heat and tig worked well. Could see it wetting the door plate and flowing out together with the handle and filler. They'll have to try real hard to pull this handle off that's for sure.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 16:46
Are you left handed?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 17:59
Born right handed but do both when needed
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-20-2012 14:02
I like the no smoking sign, where there was a 3000 degree arc burning right next to it....
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-20-2012 15:42
Haha!! Or the smoke streaks on the sign itself!!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-21-2012 02:50
looks real good that handle will never fall off.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2012 16:13
Can you tell us the rationale behind the decision to use "stainless" filler metal?
How much preheat and what electrode classification did you decide on?

Oh yea, the beads don't look too shabby either! :cool:

Al
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-14-2012 16:21
I wanna know too.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-14-2012 16:56
Let's just say a little birdie I know was pretty positive what type of material this was, didn't ask how he knew(LOL) but went with it. Went with a 150* preheat and 308 because I didn't have any 309 laying around. Guy I talked to while cleaning up I told him what type of metal it could be and said that maybe the guy running the drill didn't know what he was doing and he laughed(he was with the maintenance company) and said he knows the guy who tried to drill it and he knows how to run a drill but kept burning up bits. He could not figure out why they would have this heavy blast door and not 30 feet away have a regular steel door!! He laughed and said, "it just don't make sense!!".

Funny thing is welds I look at of mine and think, "I can do much better" and then these folks walk over and say things like, "That's money!!", "Those are excellent looking welds" I'm starting to wonder what the heck it is they've been looking at!! Thanks for the comment though Al, I keep on working on making the pretty welds!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-14-2012 18:46
Well, only you know how those welds went in. Just like when you make a decorative handrail, and you are the only one who will ever see the imperfections.

When you have a badass rod builder put an engine together, all you need to know is that your car runs like a raped ape, and that's good enough. These folks see your work and think it's the best stuff they have seen.....and most times it is the best they have seen.

That means you are a professional, now give yourself a little room to gloat. We deserve a little of that from time to time.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-16-2012 10:42
nice looking bead, great job.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-19-2012 14:34
Nicely done!

But due to evidence of smoke on the paint

Have to write you up

(didn't you see the sign on the door?)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 16:33
Haha!! That's alright, outside the door is the designated smoking area with the delightful aroma of wet cig ashes and butts free of charge! Never knew how much that stuff stunk til I quit smoking!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here's the door handle!!