Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Head,eye pain from soldering
- - By Adam77 Date 04-21-2012 13:56
Hello,
I am completely new to soldering, but back in December 11, I took it upon myself to make a Solder sculpture made entirely of solder. I ended up using alot of it, 15 roles of the thick stuff, which is great for bonding metals. I also used a great deal of flux. As it was December I did not have a window open, nor was it a well ventillated area. I inhaled alot of fumes in the week or so it took me to complete..I was completely unaware of the dangers of solder fumes until a week or so after I had finished I started getting pains around my eye's,when they moved our I needed to focus on something..I never had this type of problem before and it was not until I looked online that I realised I had been poisoning myself with both the solder and flux! Over a period of  months time it gradually got better but it comes back from time to time. I am wondering has anyone ever expierenced anything like this? I am worried I have done permanent damage with the amount of inhalation of these fumes?
Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-21-2012 22:05
Welcome to the forum Adam!

There are so many different types of Solders, Fluxes and Fumes that my advice would be to get the Lables for everyting you used and the also get the MSDS for the specific items and take all of it to your eye doctor....

Only one set of eyes...  Prolly your ok... But go see the doc.

Again   Welcome,.
Parent - - By Adam77 Date 04-22-2012 12:28
Will do, Thanks
Parent - By Tomwalz (*) Date 05-14-2012 14:54
Could be simple muscle strain from an unfamiliar task.

We train for that with new people on our brazing lines.  

Not uncommon for some eye strain as well as neck and shoulder sitffness.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Head,eye pain from soldering