Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Reality Check
- - By Superflux (****) Date 04-21-2012 19:12
It has been a few years since I was under the hood. And I am the first to admit that: "You DON'T want me welding on your job".
Today, the Trainer was manually cutting some practice plates for next week's hands on session. Nice and smooth, a true Journeyman/Craftsman/Artisan. Admiring his skill, and not wishing to be out done, I told him that I had always taken pride in being good with a torch and used to hand bevel pipe in a single cut. He offered me the Victor. It felt good in my hands. It gave me that warm nostalgic feeling as if reunited with a long lost lover in my arms. Visions from years past danced through my minds eye... sitting on the edge of the iron trimming away on a 3 ton main steam hanger a hundred yards above the Earth, pick-up trucks looking like a MatchBox toys beneath me...
I fired up the trusty gas axe, made the adjustments and was soon listening to the rattle of a clean tip and correct pressures. Got it, all's good. Made a practice run across the length of the chalk line with elbows securely braced. Got it, all's good. Began cutting and heard that pleasant sound of liquified steel sputtering, indicative of a clean cut with minimal dross adhesion to the plate... followed through like a golf pro, hearing the rattle once again and the pieces separating with a nice thunk... YES! .... I then looked at the cut... the horror...
Well, let's just say that a beaver amped up on Methamphetamines would have gnawed off a straighter, smoother line.

I gotta get me a little shop time and get my hand back..........
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-21-2012 22:01
Your not alone bro.

I whipped out some schedule 5 pipe 2 inch to do an impromptu demo on some legs for a smoker....  Go ahead lads, let's just put it 6G so you can see all the positions at once..

It did NOT look as good as I had hoped..

Monday the lads will watch the old man practice!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-21-2012 22:45
That is one good aspect of maintaining my fab shop while also getting into inspections- I get plenty of opportunities to practice with torch, plasma, and welders.  I don't have to worry much at this point that my skills are very rusty. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-22-2012 00:47
It does not matter what the discipline...if you get enough cobwebs/dust on it...going back takes a little rust removal.  If I had to tig some of those teeny tiny joints right now I would be heavily displeased with myself.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-23-2012 12:07
Those meter's I just built was all 6010 downhill. I have not done a downhill cap in 6 months or better! All I've been doing is uphill. Took a few welds to get my cap going again. The first ones were all test ready but just not what I expected of myself. Stay off the horse long enough and it's gonna take some time to figure it out, get that muscle memory back!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Reality Check