Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Warpage welding 1"?
- - By phaux (***) Date 04-21-2012 21:01
I had some 1" flanges cut for a customer that will be welded to 1/4" pipe. I will be drilling hoes in the flanges and bolting them together then welding them onto the pipe. My question is should I be worried about the flanges warping at all? Preheat? The pipe is 36" steel. Will be using dual core wire.
Parent - By JCP (*) Date 04-22-2012 21:17
Dual shield wire is extremely prone to warping
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-22-2012 23:05
I presume you mean the wall thickness is 1/4".  With a fillet weld on 1/4" wall to a 1" thick flange you shouldn't get much warpage.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-23-2012 21:30
If I've well understood your doubt, you're going to weld a 1 inch thick flange made out from plate to a 36 inches diameter, 1/4 inch thick pipe.
Flanges made by cutting them from steel plate are common in AWWA (American Water Works Association) piping systems. They don't have the "extension" (I don't know how to call it) existing in slip on flanges, where you weld them to the outside of the pipe.  Both faces are parallel along the entire flange width.
In my experience, yes, this type flanges are prone to warping at welding them, because they don't have that "extension". Slip on flanges don't warp because they have it.
I'm sorry, I'm in a hurry in this moment. At some other moment I'll come back and tell you a welding sequence to prevent, or at least minimize, warping.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 04-23-2012 23:30
Would you recommend beveling the flange due to it's thickness or will that matter as it will only be as strong as the thinnest material, in this case the 1/4" pipe?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-24-2012 00:07
The welding sequence I suggest is described below.

Let's suppose that the flange is in position and ready to start welding. No, I don't suggest to bevel the flange, its cross sectional area is rectangular. What you should bevel is the pipe. The flange has two faces, one around the pipe end and the other one around the pipe wall.
We'll call the first one "the pipe end face"and the other one "the pipe wall face". 36 inches is nearly one meter, a sufficient distance for two welders to work at the same time.

1. The two welders, working at the same time on the pipe end face, will apply two weld beads say 2 inches long, one on the 12 o'clock and the other one on the 6 o'clock position.
2. Then, working at the same time on the pipe wall face, will apply two welds beads 2 inches long, one on the 3 o'clock and the other one on the 9 o'clock position.
3. Next, they will apply two 2 inches long beads on the pipe end face, one between the 1 and 2 o'clock position and the other one between the 7 and 8 o'clock position.
4. The next two 2 inches long weld beads will be applied on the pipe wall face, one between the 10 and 11 o'clock position and the other one between the 4 and 5 o'clock position.
5. At this time, the welds described on paragraph 1 have cooled down, so the welders will apply two beads on the same o'clock positions, but on the pipe wall face.
6. Also at this time the welds described on paragraph 2 have cooled down, so the welders will apply two beads on the same o'clock positions, but on the pipe end face.

Well, you have surely understood the rest of the sequence, so I don't have to explain it. Of course, cleanliness of the welds is a thing that deserves careful attention.

Tell me how you did on.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Warpage welding 1"?