Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / dB Accuracy equipment qualification
- - By walt75 Date 04-23-2012 20:46
My question deals specifically with filling out Form M-8 in Annex M. I have managed to get the "a,b,c,d and e" rows filled in although I am not sure about row e. In the supplemental instructions it states: The Collective dB Error "e" is established by starting with the dB Error "d" nearest to 0.0, collectively add the dB Error "d" values horizontally, placing the subtotals in Row "e". Yet in the example below the instructions 0.0 is established twice. Once under row 8 and again under row 10. In this example they choose to use row 10 as the starting point. Why????

Also in the next supplemental instruction it states:  Moving horizontally, left and right from the Average % line, find the span in which the largest and smallest Collective dB  Error figures remain at or below 2 dB. Count the number of horizontal spaces of movement, subtract  one, and multiply the remainder by six. This dB value is the acceptable range of the unit.

I do not understand this. First of all, in the example below they have stated the "Accuracy required: Minimum allowable range is 60 dB. 
In order to get the 60 dB they need 11 horizontal spaces of movement, subtract one and multiply by 6= 60dB. How did they do this????? Where is the 11 horizontal spaces???
Other questions I have regarding this statement:
What is the Average % line exactly????
It states to find the Collective dB Error figures at or below 2 dB. In the example below all the Collective dB Error entries are below 2 dB. (Row one is -2.2)
Also how can a single dB value be an acceptable "range"..... A range is a space inbetween two points.
I assume that this information is to be entered below in the "Total qualified range" (From the chart above)
The next line is also "Total qualified range" (From Form M-9)

I am have been told that AWS uses this dB accuracy in place of... or to obtain a vertical linearity and that this qualification is intended more to a older analog unit.......
It is very hard for me to understand.
If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2012 12:50
Walt,
I hope some of the other UT guys can show us where this form is useful...I find it a complete waste of my time. Never in my time bouncing sound have I ever had any of my equipment not hit the 2dB window in form M-9. Never have I ever had any equipment fail the annual inspection/verfication either. These Krautkramer machines, as shown in the sample form in M-8, seem to hold their settings very well.

The starting point is the lowest point where the machine can hit the 40% FSH when you are directly over the center 2" section of the DS block....add 6dbs and record these two points....this is where you start, not column 10. For the next step you slide the transducer over towards the 4" section until you have a new 40% FSH without changing the gain, then stop, add the 6dB and fill out the next column...etc...etc.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-24-2012 15:25
I hope some of the other UT guys can show us where this form is useful...I find it a complete waste of my time. Never in my time bouncing sound have I ever had any of my equipment not hit the 2dB window in form M-9. Never have I ever had any equipment fail the annual inspection/verfication either. These Krautkramer machines, as shown in the sample form in M-8, seem to hold their settings very well.

It was written for analog machines if I am not mistaken. The digital units either work or they don't, analog units could still work, but be disqualified by the criteria given.
There are a lot of things like that hanging around from days gone by. However, there may be those out there still using an analog system. In order to change, I believe it would be necessary to ban analog systems.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2012 15:29
Thank you Gerald for the reply to my question...I hope this helps the OP as well.
I respect your knowledge in UT, I know that you have been performing and studying the science of UT alot longer than I have.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-26-2012 23:40
Your welcome.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2012 15:33
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I put together awhile ago that may be useful to someone....it is the one that I use. I input the readings and it does the math....if you see a cell with formulas in them...do not input any info into those cells or it will overwrite the formula and the math will not work for you. Give this a try and see if it is useful to anyone.
Attachment: UTCalibrationAnnexM.xls (43k)
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-25-2012 12:42
Thanks for posting that John.
- By walt75 Date 04-24-2012 23:36
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I am retired navy and have only been working with the AWS code since my retirement in 2010.
I am currently on a job and the customer wants the AWS equipment qualifications. Thanks again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / dB Accuracy equipment qualification