Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A little tiggin
- - By weaver (***) Date 04-24-2012 01:44
Fabing a "a" frame from 3x3x1/4 ""aluminum. Little brain fart, I am welding around 254 amps . Cerated tungsten the best?.
Parent - By phaux (***) Date 04-24-2012 03:07
2% thoriated is what I like to use, but I'm no tig expert :P
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2012 10:27
I prefer the zirchoniated tungsten myself for aluminum. Have used 2% before on smaller stuff. I get all my tungsten from these folks, http://www.diamondground.com/index.html Good prices, quick on the shipping and have had no problems with the tungsten.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-24-2012 23:28
If your machine has an adjustable squarewave set the time at negative to 65-68% and as been suggested point the tungsten. If the diameter of tungsten balls at that amperage; increase the diameter of tungsten. AC with pointed tungsten will round the end of tungsten but if the diameter is sized to the amperage you will have a rounded & pointed tungsten.
- - By john housel (*) Date 04-24-2012 03:33
pure  with  the green end. Make a ball on the end by running your electrode positive and slowly ramping up amps with your foot pedal till the ball forms. Then run AC current with high frequency.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2012 03:43
Ignore the first two responces  (with all due respect)

The cerium electrode is perfect for what you are doing.

A water cooled torch will help alot at that amperage too.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-24-2012 05:07
You don't need to ignore anybodies response here.  People are just trying to help.  Try this link to Millers website, it will answer your questions and then some.  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tech_tips/TIG_tips/hints_tips.html
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2012 05:36 Edited 04-24-2012 05:52
A thorium electrode over 200 amps will split, spit, and grow spikes......  Out of the running

A pure tungsten would have to be 1/4 inch in diameter to handle this kind of current.... Nobody should buy or sell pure tungsten electrodes in the 21st century..  Their are better choices.

Miller suggests Cerium....  Save yourself the time.

People who just try to help... Give the wrong answers quite often...

Edit:
It would have been more polite to just say... Don't spend money on pure or thorium electrodes for the job you are currently doing...  I was wrong to be so blunt.  I won't edit my first post so 9XXXX's criticisim makes sense.

The original poster was correct in choosing cerium electrodes and will remain correct... No matter how many wrong answers are presented.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 04-24-2012 12:00
In what applications or scenarios would one choose thoriated over cerated or vise versa?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2012 12:21 Edited 04-24-2012 12:26
Paux

Thats a very long conversation..  There are many posts on the forum where I have made it.

But briefly..  

Thorium, Lanthanum and Cerium for the purposes of DCEN manual GTAW are a push.  A welder won't tell the difference on regular DCEN Tig work..  All 3 have great arc starting, great current carrying capacity and longevity under normal manual operations.

For AC operations... Thorium has a tendency to degrade in bad ways when it is overheated... Cerium and Lanthanum have the same approximate current carrying capacity for AC GTAW work.. But Cerium and Lanthanum hold up better at the higher amperages..  When they do begin to overheat they do not split, split or grow spikes in the same way thorium does.

Even with transformer/rectifier AC welding power supplies (not just inverters)... Lanthanum and Cerium electrodes can be prepared with a pointed tip, which produces a more favorable arc plasma column which in turn produces a superior penetration profile for both fillet and groove welds compared to a balled end that has been traditionally used for many years.

So while for DCEN operations Thorium is equal to Lanthanum and Cerium  it is not superior.   For AC operations  Lanthanum and Cerium are superior to Thorium.

I would choose Cerium and Lanthanum as the more versatile electrode for all applications.  The price difference between Thorium and Cerium and Lanthanum is so small as to not really come into the argument.

Plus... If you use Cerium or Lanthanum.. You need no alternate electrode for AC operations... You can sharpen both ends of your electrode and not have to worry about identification as the Cerium or Lanthanum can be used for both AC and DC.

Hope this helps more than my first (less than helpful post).
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 04-28-2012 02:37
and try helium for gas cuts amperage in 1/2
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A little tiggin