Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1 (2010) Weld Backing
- - By rshanks (**) Date 04-24-2012 21:13
All need some thoughts, I have read Clause 3 @ 3.13.2 " other backing can be used as listed in 5.10, if qualified in conformance with Clause 4". Note qualified a plate procedure with steel backing some time back, SAW process. I know how 5.10 reads. Now with Clause 4, other than Table 4.5 @ 34, The Omission, but not Inclusion statement. Would you consider the old plate procedure ok to use with a copper bar and flux backing? Clause 4 doe's not in my mind elaborate on this except Tubular CJP @ 4.13. Thanks RS
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-25-2012 11:07
Based on a 3 minute review, It looks like a technical disconnect between Table 4.5 and 5.10.  5.10 lists a bunch of backing material/methods, and 3.13.2 lets you use them if qualified to Clause 4.  Clause 4 then goes on to apparently state that the only essential aspect of backing is omission (Table 4.5).

Should you do it, probably not.

I don't know if you will be able to stay within the parameters that are more restricted in Table 4.5 and get the weld you want.  Amps, volts, and WFS are pretty tight, and I dont know that your existing procedure will have enough range to let you go from steel backing to flux without burnthrough, etc etc.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2012 16:00
Clause 5 says you can use any of the backing materials listed, but clause 3 only considers steel backing prequalified. Therefore you can use any of the backing materials listed in 5, but only if you qualify each one you plan to use. Since you elected to use copper, which is not prequalified, you are free to use it if you are willing to qualify your WPS.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2012 16:08
I agree with AL....if you don't plan to address the second side at all and will leave it "as welded" using the backing(as listed in Clause 5).
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-25-2012 16:14
Al
I sure wish they had a like button.
Good response.
Marshall :cool:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1 (2010) Weld Backing