Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question about a weld needing to be ground or not
- - By rra223 Date 04-26-2012 00:05
I have an I-beam that had a fillet weld that held a plate to the beam. Then later someone took a grinder and cut the weld enough to remove the plate, but left the remaining part of the weld on the I-beam.

Does the remaining weld need to be removed? and if so, what section in D1.1 refers to it. I thought it did. But didnt really know what that fall under, tack, or arc strike about the closest I could come up with.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-26-2012 01:14
Temporary Welds - Clause 5.18
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-26-2012 02:04
There made be something in the General Notes of the Contract Documents, sometimes the EOR will require them to be removed.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-26-2012 03:53 Edited 04-26-2012 03:57
rra,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I'm with Shane on this.  Clause 5 'Fabrication' under Fitters Aids and Temporary Welds & Tacks.  "These shall be removed, when required by the engineer." (emphasis mine)

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-26-2012 10:43
Plus it'sjust workmanship to remove it and restore it to it's original condition, but I understand time, access, effort may allow that option to be skipped.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-26-2012 18:21
I agree, not always just per code.  Craftsmanship comes into play as well.  What type of reputation do you want to maintain.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 04-26-2012 15:12 Edited 04-26-2012 18:19
In all of my years of welding, mostly in heavy industrial settings, I don't think I ever left an old weld on a piece that was being reworked. Are you welding a new piece where the old one was? That is a whole other can of worms if you don't remove the old weld. If not, it still looks horrible to see an old weld left on a beam, kind of like seeing somebody's pile of garbage left in an empty campsite.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Question about a weld needing to be ground or not