Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what's with the funky plug?
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 01-05-2003 16:39
bought a 172 challenger millermatic. Is this wierd plug common to all welders? The 172 draws about 19 amps on a dead short. I wanted to wire it to a 30 amp breaker. Getting the impression that you are not supposed to do this even though the circuit would be more than adequate for THIS machine. Why don't they put a heavy duty twist-lock on the sucker. That way the recept. can be wired 30 amp. without running the risk of plugging in a machine too big for the circuit. A 50 amp could be put in, but more wire, more money. Not necessary to power THIS machine. Anyone else encounter this? I won't wire an outlet to a circuit that its not sufficient ampacity.
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 01-05-2003 18:08
You mean the 50 amp plug on the welder?If thats it just plug in to your 30 amp sevice .You could change the plug to match the 30 amp one.I think its a waste of time.All the welders have that style plug.Some that draw more than 50 amps.I think thats what you meant?Sounds like you like you new welder.Heavy little sucker.Its got lots of copper in it.I like that part of the welder,but not moving it.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-08-2003 05:07
From a practical point of view there is no real problem with a 50 amp receptical served by a 30 amp breaker. If something tries to draw 50 amps the breaker opens as it should and there is no danger. The danger is the other way- say a device that normally draws 15 amps is plugged into a circuit served by a 30 amp breaker and thru some fault in the device it begins to draw 25 amps, the 30 amp breaker is unaware of any problem but the device is unlikely to be able to dissipate the extra energy and is likely to catch fire. The electrical code allows only a small oversize for breakers serving dedicated circuits (I don't remember how much but guess it would ask for a 25 amp breaker in this case). The code may also have something to say about oversized recepticals. I'm not an electrician so I don't keep the code memorized. Perhaps someone who actually is an electrician will fill this out.

I've seen most of your posts, replied to some, and I believe what you were really asking for was a machine that actually worked. I'm not familiar with this particular machine but I'm betting it does a fine job for you.

Best of luck with it-
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what's with the funky plug?