Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / robotic seam trackers
- - By kam (**) Date 01-07-2003 18:22
Considering seam trackers for my robots. Looking for opinions on what really works and what does not. This application would probally only be suitable for an optical type. What brands have you guys and gals used and what kind of luck have you had with them. I tired one out along time ago (cant remember the brand) and had very limited success.

Thanks

kam
Parent - By ROBO-WELD (*) Date 01-09-2003 23:22
You may want to go back to your robot company and see what they have to offer... I've worked with ABB robots, and through the years they have used optical type, laser type, and through the arc tracking. Some of the characteristics of each goes like this... heavy smoke and spatter may become a problem with optical lenses and somewhat with laser lenses,,, shiny metals or heavy scratches on alum. can be difficult for laser,,, also clamps or fixturing to close to seam may become the weld seam with optics and laser.. Don't know your application but I would say through the arc tracking is what you want.(If your MIG welding)????? ABB's latest tracking equip. is called A.W.C " Advanced Weld Control" , it compares the Impeadence of the welding arc on the left and right side of the seam, if the seam moves - robot adjusts. Also can sense a width change and will speed up or slow down the robot for proper fill. Need more info drop me a line.

LARRY

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / robotic seam trackers