Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / peening
- - By sriley77 (*) Date 05-11-2012 13:42
Hello again,
First thank you all for you're responses on my last query. This time I'm having a debate on peening, during a qualification test and in production. The root of the issue is needle guns. Is using them considered peening or are they a light vibration tool?

Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.

Scott
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-11-2012 14:43
Hello Scott, the answer to that likely lies more in the operators use of the tool. If they are camping on it and giving the weld a golf ball texture then I would say that it could be considered peening. If the tool is simply used to knock off the slag and possibly some spatter I don't believe that you could consider it "peening". A visual observation on an inspectors part will likely determine whether it has been abused or not. But that's just my personal observation to your question. I am sure others will have opinions/suggestions to additionally address your question. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-11-2012 14:57
Peening, as it relates to qualification, would be performed as a method of stress releiving, which is not required on all materials and is most often performed through various types of post weld heating and slow cooling.
Using a needle gun, as it relates to qualification, would be a means of weld cleaning only, and can be specified on the WPS, especially for interpass cleaning.

Tim
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2012 17:36 Edited 05-11-2012 17:42
Improper Needle gunning is more apt to be stress inducing (Work Hardening) than stress relieving due to the rapid intensity of the process. Proper peening (for stress relief) requires a larger (think ball PEEN hammer) impactor and far less frequency of blows per square inch.
True, plastic deformation can be induced, but needle guns are far to agressive to be a reliable method.
Shot peening is another animal...
http://www.aws.org/wj/sept01/cullison.html
http://www.asm-indy.org/breuer.htm

Here's something to consider about the unreliability of manual peening.
http://www.usace-isc.org/presentation/Structural%20-%20Hydraulic%20Steel%20Structures/Stress%20Relieving%20Welds_Wessel_Tim.pdf
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-11-2012 18:01
Peening according to AWS is "the mechanical working of metals".  When you compare that with the usages for peening and definitions used by other organizations I don't believe you can peen with an air needle scaler.  Especially if you don't 'work' the metal after the slag is removed.  By which time the weld metal would be cool enough it would be difficult to do.  Peening takes a certain amount of force and size of striking object (ball peen hammers). 

Peening as described in section 5 of D1.1 does not restrict one from using a needle scaler to remove slag though I have had inspectors who insisted it did.  Look closely at Section 5.27 and 5.27.1 as well as the Commentary for that section.  The reference is used to describe working the root or surface metal (see above definition) to mask discontinuities such as undercut, porosity, etc so the inspector can't see them during VT. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-11-2012 19:53
AWS 3.0 (2010)

Peening- The mechanical working of metals using impact blows.

Caulking - Plastic deformation of weld and adjacent base metal surfaces by mechanical means to seal or obscure discontinuities.
Parent - By sriley77 (*) Date 05-11-2012 19:56
Thank you all for your responses, very helpful, and I'm now winning the debate. But its hard to win quality over production!
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2012 18:25
Peening involved sever plastic deformation of the entire weld bead cross section.

Aggressive use of the needle gun (even those that use a chisel like tool) is not going to affect the entire cross section of the weld bead. While it may obliterate the ripples of the weld bead surface it is not sufficient to cause the cross section of the weld bead to be plastically deformed.

In the case of D1.1, it is clear that the use of tools typically used to remove scale and slag are not considered to be peening.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / peening