Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Great Forum! Yet another question!!!
- - By wardaj Date 01-10-2003 18:32
I would like to state first off that i have learned more in these two posts than i have in about a week of reading through the internet and books. Here is my situation. Im getting ready to start a project, putting a turbo on a 2002 Saturn. There are kits that are highly overpriced. I want to be able to do the intercooler piping (aluminum), the exhaust system ( stainless ), and also be able to tack on to some steel structures on the car. I have become halfway decent at welding aluminum and steel where i work. (Mercury Marine). We have a very big MIG welder, TIG, and gas setups in teh small shops that the engineers can use. What i am scared of is buying a welde that is not capable of doing what i want. I used to using that nice one, i dont want to buy a small one and then realize that I cant use it.

Well, there are a couple weldersthat i have seen that might do well.

Millermatic 135 and Hobart Handler 135.
Does anyone have any experience with these models. Also, could someone please explain the use of gas in a MIG setup. LIke i said, ive been learning on equipment that was allready setup up for particular metals. Which metals do you and do you not use gas with, also when do you flux cored wire? Thanks again guys, this has been great.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-10-2003 21:55
I'm sure that either of these welders will do well for your intended purpose. MIG is simple to operate and these machines are designed to be user friendly. Most Welding Supply joints have machines available for you to test drive at their facility. Miller and Lincoln have traveling demo trailers that I see around alot, especially at NASCAR and drag races. I suggest you try it before you buy it... The machine you buy will be set up already to push wire from a spool inside the power box to the gun. If you plan to do a lot of Aluminum, you'll prolly have to get a different weld gun to run the AL wire. (push-pull or spool type) This is because the AL wire is so flimsey it pulls through the gun a lot better than it pushes. Make sure you discuss this with the salesman and don't let him charge you through the nose for the extra gun.
The gas, when electric arc welding, is used for sheilding the arc from oxygen, because, if Oxy is allowed to get into the arc, it causes pin-hole bubbles in the weld bead. (not good) There are different types of gas for different materials and transfer methods as the gas also effects the heat of the arc. There are too many variables to explain here but the old standard is 75% Argon 25% CO2 mix which works well with a variety of situations. Get the weld mach supplier to give you some product info on the gases and make a recommendation. Just don't let him try to sell you any expensive "Tri-Mix" specialty gas as it is not necessary.
When OXY Acetylene welding, the gases are ignited to make a heat source which melts the base metal, thus allowing welding. Completely different situation.
Good Luck!
Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-13-2003 12:29
The two welders you listed in your post are made by Miller if I'm not mistaken. All of the 135 and 175 Hobarts I've seen come with a Miller operator's manual and Miller parts fit like the ones that come from the factory.(Hobarts are just a tad less expensive to leave the store with)
Just a note,
John Wright
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 01-14-2003 03:08
i'm not sure how those small welder would do on thin aluminum. i've tried some 1/16" aluminum w/ mine (Hobart 135) just to see how versatile it is...i couldn't get it to work right. no matter how I set the machine it would either burn through, burn back to the tip, or stub into the plate. maybe, possibly, there is a lower limit to the thickness of aluminum that can be easily welded w/ MIG. anyway, I just thought of that when you mentioned the intercooler pipes, since they might be 1/16"-1/8" thick.

basically, when MIG welding use 75% Argon/25% CO2 on steel...100% Argon on aluminum. when TIG welding always use 100% Argon for all metals.

flux core wire is good for areas where it's windy, dirty, oily or painted. you should try to clean an area as much as you can, but sometimes you can't get it all clean and shiny. that's where flux core is good. it also tends to burn a little hotter and slower than MIG. the drawback is it leaves behind slag that needs to be chipped off, which can be a problem in a hard to reach area.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Great Forum! Yet another question!!!