Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 06-14-2012 14:03
What is the Mode of Transfer when welding Aluminum?  I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Thanks,
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-14-2012 14:57
d_paul,

Since you titled this "GTAW" I am going to go out on a limb and presume that is the welding process you are dealing with while welding the Aluminum in question.  I am also going to assume you are trying to fill out a WPS for the job and are trying to find out how to fill in the area on the right side (if you are using one of the suggested/sample forms) of the page dealing with 'Process' and 'Mode of Transfer'??  (Right so far??) 

Mode of transfer applies to GMAW as 'Short Circuit' OR 'Spray' Transfer.  It does not apply to GTAW that I am aware of and so the space would be filled in "NA". 

If I have missed something I am sure someone will enlighten me.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-14-2012 16:53
The only thing I can think of for mode of transfer for GTAW might be with hot wire GTAW, but I don't think that is what they are looking for.  And, I am not sure if hot wire GTAW does more than preheat the wire being fed into the welding arc.  I have never used the process but am aware that it exists.
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 06-14-2012 17:41
Correct, hot wire places an electrical current through the wire to preheat it as it's entering the puddle.  This is done to allow higher deposition rates with lower arc energy than possible with cold wire.  I would not locate "hot wire" in the "mode of transfer" field of a WPS, I would state it in the process field "GTAW-HW" or similar. 

As an aside, since most of what I work with is hot wire GTAW, if you get a chance to run it, or see it run, do so.  Very powerful tool to have in the welding engineering toolbox.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-14-2012 14:58
Hello d_paul71, your topic refers to GTAW, are you asking about mode of transfer relative to GTAW welding of aluminum with AC as the current being used, or are you referring to GTAW welding of aluminum with DC straight polarity as the current? In either case there is not a mode of transfer due to welding either being accomplished autogeneously or with the addition of filler manually or via a cold-wire feed system. To my way of thinking you will only have a mode of transfer when utilizing the GMAW process. Please advise if this is what you are asking. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-14-2012 15:20
I agree with these guys about GTAW, and marking the form N/A. With GTAW the filler rod is not part of the electrical welding circuit, it is only filler whereas with GMAW or FCAW, the wire/electrode/consumable is part of the electrical welding circuit.
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 06-14-2012 15:48
:)  Thank you all very much for the responses.  N/A it is.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GTAW