Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Hard facing" auger bits
- - By Dschertzer Date 01-11-2003 17:19
I'm new to this job of running a 316 stick bead on the outside edge of auger bits (36" X 4'). Used to drill into rock, etc for retaining walls. The weld bead only lasts about one day.
Should I be using a better weld process?
Thanks for any advice,
Doug
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-11-2003 18:00
Try running a hard surfacing electrode for high abrasion applications over the S.S. , this should help.

Brian Maas
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-11-2003 19:39
It sounds like you only completed half the process. As Brian said a surfacing material should be applied to the interface material you previously applied. It is common to use the SS or manganese buttering material prior to the application of the actual hardfacing weld metal for these applications.

The buttering operation provides a metallurgical interface between the substrate (BM) and the hardsurfacing material. It is used to dillute the base metal or act as a "cushion" (the SS in your situation) for the hardfacing.

I would also recommend a high abrasion/impact type of hardsurfacing in lieu of the abrasion type material. There are lot's of hardsurfacing electrodes for a wide variety of applications.

Have fun.
Parent - By kenmui Date 01-15-2003 01:16
It would make a significant (weeks ! ) difference on longevity if you use a hardfacing electrode. A 316 is relatively soft ( about RB 60 ), as well , it has very poor abrasion wear characteristics

The proper product to use would be a chromium carbide product in the Rc 55. You can also use a Rc 60 product but you sacrifice impact resistance...you can't go wrong with a Rc 55 product ( such as Lincoln Wearhield ME (Metal Earth).

Be very carefull when you source the electrode out because there is a very common misconception that hardness is everything. Case in point, typical "metal to metal " products also are in the order of Rc 55-60...but these products generally yield a martensitic tool steel deposite....gread for sliding wear like gears, but poor compared to the ME product...

Bottom line don't purchase your product based on R hardness...they only tell you part of the story

Word of warning, chromium carbide hardfacing electrodes don't weld nearly as nice as austenitic stainlesses that you are use to...it's ugly
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Hard facing" auger bits