Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / PED performace Qualifications
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-18-2012 14:28
Quick question:
Is it required that a performance qual be witnessed by a place like llodys?
Parent - - By Solluz (*) Date 06-18-2012 16:02
Mike,  The Par. 3.1.2,  Permanent Joining of the PED,  states that "For Pressure Equipment in categories II, III and IV, operating procedures and personnel must be approvbed by a competent third party which at the manufacturer's discretion may be a:  notified body,  or a 3rd party organization recognized by a Member State ....." 

For Category I equipment, and for equipment below the pressure / diameter limits of Category I,  third party approvals are not required.  

So you would need to know the category of the equipment you are working on.    Regards, Sol.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-18-2012 20:32
Thank you.
mike
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-18-2012 21:20
Mike,
I was given an excellent Xcel spreadsheet by a Welding Engineer friend - PED Categorisation.
You enter all the relevant info (Product type,Fluid Group,Fluid state,pressure, nominal diameter etc, etc) and it calculates exactly what category your piping or vessel falls under.
Probably more applicable to a design engineer than us QC types but if it is any assistance send me a PM and I will forward to you.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2012 11:58
Shane,
Sounds like an excellent tool but I think your right about design.
The fabricator should not be required to guess or calculate the category. That should be provided by the owner in the exact same manner as piping categories under B31.3.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-19-2012 19:00
But its just pipe!

How many times have you heard that comment?

Best regards - Al :wink:
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-19-2012 22:46
Jeff,
Understand what you are saying.
However, a little bit of additional knowledge never hurt anyone.
Have worked on some pretty large piping projects where the engineers have got a bit lazy and just nominated everything as Normal Fluid Service and requiring NDT and a hydrotest.
Checked the Piping Line lists and found numerous piping systems with pressure, temperature and fluid Type less than NFS requirements so should have been classified as Category D.
Submitted a TQ and had them reclassified to Cat D - no NDT and no hydrotest.
Big saving in time and money and everyone is happy except the lazy (or uninformed) engineer who got the pineapple.
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2012 11:51
I couldn't agree with you more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / PED performace Qualifications