Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Work
- - By arcray (*) Date 06-20-2012 20:22
I am going to be leaving the company that I have been working with for 4 yrs. as a CWI and Bolting Inspector. Thought I would look to see whats out there. Any company's I should stay away from? Or is one as good as the next?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-20-2012 20:54
So have you been in house QC or Third Party?  And which would you rather do? 

I take it since you are doing Bolting as well that you are doing structural?  Is that where you want to stay or maybe piping, or...??

Travel or local?  Where is local currently?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By arcray (*) Date 06-21-2012 11:06
I have been in house contract. Worked structural, tanks, piping and duct work. I am looking for contract work and always ready to travel. Live in Kentucky.

Bill
Parent - - By PWCameron (**) Date 06-22-2012 17:56
IMHO

If I were going to step away and venture out on 3rd party inspections (which I did, now I don't) I'd do my best to earn a UT Level II.  With your CWI and Bolting qualifications that UT Level II would mak you a god.
PWC
Parent - - By fsirk (*) Date 06-22-2012 18:17
I wish you the best of luck.  I have taken and passed the 40 hour Level 1 and 40 hour level II for UT and have found it impossible to get the require experience time to actually be certified.  Maybe if you have a contact in a company that does UT you would have a much better time.
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 06-22-2012 19:38
With a CWI, Bolting and both Level I and Level II ed requirements out of the way, and the desire to travel/relocate there are a million opportunities out there.
They'll get you the hours you need as a Trainee, Level I then Level II.
Lots of opportunity.
Look at www.inspectionjobs.com for a start.
PWC
Parent - By fsirk (*) Date 06-24-2012 18:35
If you wind up in Southern California, Arizona or Nevada I can offer feedback on companies here.  I don't know about work in Kentucky but some of the best people I know are from Lexington!  Best of luck to you.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-23-2012 11:59
Arcray,
If someone wanted to get in touch with you to discuss opportunities how would they do that? There is nothing in your profile.

I have a couple of openings. E-mail me at hughesj@ticus.com

Jim
Parent - - By arcray (*) Date 06-24-2012 14:42
Jim,
I have contacted you via email and I have also updated my profile for I was not aware it did not have this info .

Bill
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-24-2012 15:33
Arcray,
It still does not have any info to contact you by. But I did receive your e-mail and will respond today.

Jim
- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2012 12:07
When I first broke into UT it was because a UT technician showed up on the job-site without a calibration block. When I queried him about it he said the machine was calibrated back at the office. Now I have to add that since this happened nearly thirty years ago he was using an old analog machine. A different time, a different machine than those used by most of us now, but the need for on-going calibration has not changed if one is working in accordance with AWS D1.1.

Short version of the story: After attending the requisite classroom training offered by Hellier in Niantic, CT, I hired a different company to do the UT. However, rather than standing around while the Level II performed the testing, I did the actual hands-on tests while the Level II witnessed my technique and test results. It was expensive, but I accrued the required hours to meet the recommended hours of experience per SNT-TC-1A.

I essentially used the same method to accrue my hours of on the job experience for the other NDT methods. It would have cost me the same to have the NDT lab do the work as a subcontractor. At the time I could not do the work alone without the hours of on-the job experience. Using the method I outlined, the work was done under the guidance of a qualified Level II. The test reports were signed by the Level II listing me as the assistant. The Level II signed the log book I developed indicating how many hours of OJT I had accrued. When I accrued enough hours for Level I, presto, I had a record of the training and the OJE for Level I certification. Eventually enough hours of OJT plus the classroom training qualified me for Level II.  The goal had been set and achieved. I was a qualified and certified Level II that I could work alone and there was no need to subcontract the work.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Work