Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / M- numbers and PQR ??
- - By 70spoiler (*) Date 06-25-2012 16:16
Good Day, I need to Qualify and write 11 procedures for various different materials. These need to be qualified to Ground Combat Code 12479550. Paragraph 4.3.9 states

“For the welding of dissimilar base
metals, a procedure qualification shall be made for
each combination of M-numbers to be joined. If the
WPS for welding the combination of base metals
specifies the same qualification variables, including
electrode or filler metal, as both WPSs for welding
each base metal to itself, such that the base metal
is the only change, then the WPS for welding the
combination of base metals is also qualified. In
addition, when base metals of two different M numbers
are qualified using a single test weldment,
that test weldment qualifies the welding of those two
M-numbers to themselves as well as to each other
using the variables qualified.

Where do I find M- numbers for material such as 12560 armor, EN 10149 700MC  and other odd material not normally used? Do all types of material have this designation? Or a group number?
Then in 4.3.10 it states” If the referencing document requires fracture toughness testing of the base metal”….  12479550 is a Code already what other document are they talking about? The print call all armor welds IAW 12479550 but sheet metal to D1.3. EN 10149 is high strength low alloy ( above 80Ksi) but the other material 1011 is mild steel. What code do I follow???? Both material are 3 mm thick. Thanks for the help
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-25-2012 16:28
Refer your questions to the customer.

If you are subcontracting for an upper tier contracor, they should be able to respond to your questions.

That being said, I assume you have a copy of the applicable welding standard, i.e., GCC 12479550. That should be your first source of information. Check the section that lists all the references that are applicable to GCC. It may reference AWS B2.1 for the methodology of qualifying the WPS and a listing of M numbers for various base metals. However, uncommon materials may not be included, in which case the upper tier contractor, i.e., your customer should be able to provide some of the information you are seeking.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 70spoiler (*) Date 06-25-2012 16:51
Al, we are the prime contractor. our boss is uncle sam.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-25-2012 17:44 Edited 06-25-2012 18:00
A WPS qualified for non ballistic applications is not specific and is intended for general applications. A WPS qualified for a base metal listed as M1 for instance would qualify the WPS for any M1 base metal.

Based on a quick review it appears the ballistic materials are not listed as M numbered materials because there are specific requirements not applicable to materials included in either Table 3.1 or Appendix A. The qualification of ballistic materials is limited to the materials or combinations qualified with all the tests required per Appendix B.

Keep in mind that the CWI examinations do not assess an individual's ability to develop WPSs or PQRs. Nor does the CWI training prepare an individual to perform those job functions. That is the purvey of the SCWI and the engineer. If you feel you are in over your head, you probably are. There are times when employers tend to push their employees into areas, or assign responsibilities, their employees are ill prepared to fill. You might consider suggesting to your employer that they may want to consider hiring a consultant that is versed in developing welding programs and developing welding documents. Should your employer hire a consultant for this task, you could expand your level of expertise by working with him. You will be well prepared for the next project. Your experience as a fitter will serve you well with a little added training and experience.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 70spoiler (*) Date 06-25-2012 19:11 Edited 06-25-2012 19:14
Thanks Al, I do not think I am in over my head, I could get the job done, but my code books are out dated and it may take me twice as long to do it as someone who has experence. On the other hand the senior weld engineer we had was...... never mind. In CWI school we did spend a fair amount of time on WPS (prequalified)but nothing on PQRs.  I am handing this off to another welding engineer at another plant.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 06-26-2012 11:23
Check out AWS B2.1.

Tim
- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-25-2012 21:04
Speed should not be the issue. Just make sure you pay close attention to the details and read all the requirements.

No one is born an expert.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / M- numbers and PQR ??