Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld size to develop reinforcing bar
- - By BJones Date 01-14-2003 16:27
Please help. I'm confused about the weld size required for developing a reinforcing bar welded to a plate. D1.4 says the weld size is .4 times the bar radius or .2 times the bar diameter. I always thought that the weld size needed was half the bar diameter but I think that's for a fillet weld around the end of a bar. The PCI design handbook says that the effective throat is .2d The effective throat is different than the weld size so PCI and AWS are saying different things. Help!!!

Bill Jones
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-15-2003 17:53
Bill:
Have run into this before as a building inspector. (Sounds like embeds to me.) The D1.4 has always supersceded the PCI requirement. Please all forum users note I can only speak from what I have experienced. The actual throat dimension requirement would be determined by the direction of loading.

I get lot's of weird projects that exceed the requirements just noted. It depends if there's uplift, if it's part of a seismic system, etc. Only the engineer who did your design could truly answer your particular question regarding your particular application.

This is where one of those crying dolls would be very appropriate. The ironworkers will dispense bodily fluids of "what the norm" is.

I would have cut a check for a boat load of them crying welder doll's. Too bad it was another cyber hoax.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld size to develop reinforcing bar