Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A fume hood for Keller's etch?
- - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-29-2012 20:46
How necessary is a fume hood when doing Keller's etching?

Most of the procedures I read say use a fume hood.

But, we will not be mixing the etchant.  We will just be dip etching in tiny qualtities.

Our fume hood is down and we have to etch outside.  Our met lab person is a chemist and she is extremely careful about everything.

And, she wears a full respirator outside in the 97 degree Florida heat waves.  I am afraid if we make her do much more of it that she will quit on us.

I am inclined to try Keller's in the open air with no hood and no respirator.

Have any of you people used it the "unsafe" way?
Parent - By arpitkakkar1 Date 09-19-2017 08:44
Fume hood is necessary because it is decrease contact to fumes that may be poisonous or dangerous.

It is more useful for lab safety, they safe guard lab safety and lab surroundings as well.

When choosing a fume hood, start by finding out if you are safeguarding staff, products, or both.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-21-2017 11:16
Wow,
I forgot all about OBEWAN.
Hope he's doing good.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 09-22-2017 02:53
The fumes produced when the etch reacts with the weld sample are very hard on the soft tissue of the throat and lungs. Once scarred, the lungs do not function properly. It is not a good thing.

It is one thing to screw up your own lungs, but it is never a good idea to screw up someone else's lungs. Setting aside the person's lungs can be damaged for the rest of their life, it is a heavy load to have on your conscience.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A fume hood for Keller's etch?