Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASTM A6
- - By L.S.S.S Date 06-30-2012 02:35
During the receipt of a carbon steel plate of 25mm thickness were asked to calculate the maximum flatness and waviness knowing that, a specification ASTM A36 sheared edges, dimensions of 9000.0 mm x 2400.0 mm? how to check flatness and waviness in ASTMA6 ?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-30-2012 17:20
ASTM A36 makes part of ASTM A6. A6 is a broad specification that includes all structural steel specifications, A36 among them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-05-2012 20:24
I've taken a look at A6. Table 13 states the permissible variations from flatness in carbon steel plates. Table 14 states the permissible variations in flatness in alloy steel plates. Table 15 states the permissible variations in waviness in all kind of plates.
As I said on my first posting, A6 is a broad standard that includes a number of more specific ones, A36 among them. On A6 it's also written that the particular requirements stated on any of the standards included, will prevail over the requirements stated on A6.
This means that if you measure flatness and waviness according to A36, you'll be on the safe side.
Giovanni S. Crisi
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-30-2012 19:06 Edited 06-30-2012 19:13
You will need to purchase a copy of ASTM A6.

You need a copy of the game rules to play the game. That's just one of the many standards, specifications, and codes one needs in order to play the game of "Inspection".

The employer is responsible to obtain and provide their employees the appropriate specifications, standards, and codes if they are contracting their services for inspection. If they cannot or will not provide their employees with the appropriate governing documents, the employee, i.e., the inspector, really can't do the job. If they can't do the work, they have no right to charge the client for services that are not rendered.

Purchasing the appropriate codes, standards, and specifications is one of the many costs of doing business. If one is not willing to buy the appropriate documents, they should not be offering their services to unsuspecting clients. To perform inspections without access to the appropriate reference documents is akin to a mechanic charging a customer for rebuilding an engine without actually doing the work. I believe that would be considered fraud in some circles.

Al
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 07-03-2012 12:39
If the question is what is the permissible variation in flatness, I agree that if the company is involved with the purchase of plate they should obtain a copy of the current code.

But the question asked above is , "How to check flatness and waviness in ASTM A6?"  I think that is a fair question since ASTM A6 does not give a method how to inspect flatness of plate, it only states that plates must be in a horizontal position on a flat surface when flatness is measured.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2012 22:02
LSSS,

First things first:

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, I concur with Bill here, the question appears to be "How to check".  I am uncertain that a quality control person or a good journeyman welder/fitter should have to ask that question.

But, assuming someone who is really out of the loop here... you could run a string line across lengthwise and crosswise from edge to edge and measure any gaps for a tolerance amoount.  You could also use a laser and do the same thing.  Either of these would be done from several points lengthwise and transverse as well as diagonally.  You could also set up a transit and then take several measurements at the corners, center, and several other points.  You would then find a mean measurement for positive and negative and then you would be able to figure out how much variableness the plate had. 

I went through that rather roughly assuming at least a minimal comprehension of QA/QC tools and procedures.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By L.S.S.S Date 07-15-2012 04:10
Thank you sir. Bill M
My question really was like "check" the flatness of the table in ASTM A-6. I am grateful for your support and response.

Thanks for the answer clearly and objectively Mr. welderbrent, was of great help her answer. The way in which Mr.. explained, I have no doubt about the reading table flatness of ASTM A-6, the question I asked was related to how to check and with his great help now managed to find the correct flatness.
This forum needs people / professionals like Mr. that responds with clear answers and help others in need.

thank you.

Note: I am new to the area of inspection and am humble enough to ask what have doubts, it is with the simplicity and humility that we become great professionals.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2012 21:29
Since you took the time to get back to us and let us know that we managed to be of help to you I would like to ask another question of you...

What country are you in and what is your main language?  Are you using a translator function? 

I am just curious from the broken language content of your post.  It can become difficult for us in the US to put together a decent answer sometimes when we are dealing with language differences as well as cultural differences, trade differences, etc.

But, I am glad you were able to figure it out.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASTM A6