Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Finally bought the yellow TIG!
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 01-14-2003 19:32
"We all weld with the yellow TIG machine...the yellow TIG machine...the yellow TIG machine..." Sorry folks, couldn't resist the pun! (No flames, please, I respect everyone's particular brand choices as their own choices, so please do the same with my choice.)

After all the questions you guys have answered for me, all that I've learned from trying some of the good machines, and some of my own experimentation, I decided it was finally time to reward myself for this "hard" work with an ESAB Heliarc 161 AC/DC. I've still got to run a 220V circuit into my garage, but that's cheap compared to the machine. The price was $1470, and that's the package with the ESAB 160 amp squarewave inverter power supply, TIG torch, reg, foot pedal control, all hoses and clamps and such (the 2776 package). That's the best price I've seen or probably will see, so I figured I had waited long enough. Quite a ticket for something that I'm using for hobby use, but I'm pretty sure I'll probably keep this thing for the next 10-20 years, so that softens the blow quite a bit. I almost forked out the extra $500 for the more powerful HTP Invertig200, but $1900 is just too difficult to justify.

Anyway, thanks for the all help and answers you guys have provided!

Regards,
Dave
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-15-2003 08:26
If I said it once, I said it 1000 times:
It's not the car - it's the driver.

Your choice is what's best for you.
Red, Yellow, Purple or Blue.

No charge for finishing your lyrics.
Parent - By TiG6al-4v (*) Date 09-12-2003 02:59
Excellant!
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 01-15-2003 18:52
Dave,
You can tell the guys who dont agree with your judgement that your wife picked it out because the color goes with the decor in the shop...
...good luck with it, but why do you think it will only be around for 20 years?

Regards
d
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-15-2003 19:50
Dee:
I don't mind his choice of equipment, I just won't loan him any tungsten.

Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 09-20-2003 23:42
Cool Dave, let us know how "easy" it is to weld aluminum. I too am hot for a TIG now. All the talk about the Thermal Arc 185 (over at the Hobart site) had me excited, but I like the price you paid for yours! Care to devulge the source? You can PM me if you want. Thanks!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Finally bought the yellow TIG!