Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart GF 250
- - By strother (***) Date 07-01-2012 00:59
I've got an old Hobart GF 250 at the shop. I'm thinking about trading it out for some $$ a guy owes me. I fired it up today . The engine runs smooth and it welds but seems like the engine not speeding up to 1800 rpm. It is welding real cold and arc it not steady. Any suggestions or Hobart links would be appreciated. I would have very little invested in this welder and I think it would make an interesting side project but I don't know where to start.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 07-01-2012 02:36
Check RPM with a tach to get it to 1800. Check the brushes and slip ring for condition and wear as well as all the wiring. Tommy has an older Hobart machine, I am sure he will chime in. Sounds to me like it just needs a little tlc and it will be working like a champ. Put a good fuel filter on it if it doesn't have one. The low rpm could be a number of things but keeping clean fuel into the carb will keep the headaches away.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-01-2012 11:40
What is a GF250? Is that a little air cooled type machine? Ok, searching online I'm thinking not. Check with Tommy on here, Tommyjoking. He has an older Hobart and I consider him the resident expert! I used his last summer, nice running machines. Plus, he has done tons of searching on parts, where to get parts and things like that so he'll have lot's of info that way.
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 07-01-2012 13:10
Shawn, I have a GF 250. Mine has a 200 inline 6 ford industrial engine. I have not had much time to mess with it yet.

Chris
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-01-2012 13:25
Oh, ok, must be a pretty good size machine with an inline 6.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-01-2012 13:45 Edited 07-01-2012 13:50
Try a search on "Liberated Manuals" site, since many of these old Hobarts were military machines, powered by 6 cylinder Ford or 4 cylinder Willys. If no luck, you may be able to order by serial # on Hobart site for $15, in unlisted manual section.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-01-2012 19:42
I ain't no expert!  I am just lucky

As far as finding things for it goes; Find the ID plate and get the Model and SPEC #.  That is what you will need to be certain your getting the correct anything for it. Miller actually has manuals to most of these machines, call with those numbers and they can ship one out to you for cheap. Engine parts takes a little stubbornness at the NAPA but they can be located cause they were used in tractors, cars etc.  The generator/electronic side is much tougher...fortunately there is not much to go wrong in there.  A lot of it is easy for a good electronics guy to make a copy of as well.  I have some links to graveyards and such buried somewhere on this PC:grin:

This is a straight six, single barrel carb, mechanical governor yea? Assuming it is running smooth and clean.

Strother check the brush set at the end of the generator first...make sure you got some left.  Run the machine on high and stick a voltmeter in your 120v outlets and see what you get.  If it is running smooth but you are not getting 120v or close to it, then yea she is not turning fast enough...if you are getting 120v then you have some issue in the welding circuit.  If you determine your NOT getting enough speed...I would check ignition timing with a timing light FIRST.   It does not have to be off much on that old ford to lose a lot of performance.  Next probable cause would be the governor.  They are a real pain to get set just right, probably impossible without the manual procedure.  If ya decide to mess with the governor shoot me a picture of it...I may have the procedure I can copy you.

Good luck
let us know what you figure out
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 07-03-2012 01:02
Tommy , I hadn't thought about checking the 120v outlets . I'll try that. I'm almost certain it is not kicking up to 1800 rpm . If it is its not holding steady . It just doesn't purr like it should. When get a chance to start working on it I may need those grave yard links. Hopefully its just a matter of getting the engine tuned up.
                                                                                                                                                                          Thanks, Randy
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-03-2012 22:34
I will help any way I can Randy.  If that GF 250 is anything like my 3020, it is definitely worth saving!!:grin:
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-03-2012 01:24
Hahaha!! Got your message! You tell him Mr. Hobart! :lol::lol:
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-02-2012 03:50
The Ford 200" 6 is the industrial version of the engine used in '60s Ford Falcon, Mustang and Fairlane. Most of the parts are the same as the auto engine parts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart GF 250