Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode Certification
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-05-2012 03:24
Hi all,
Need a bit of help if possible please.
What is the minimum requirement for information to be supplied on an AWS/SFA 5.1 electrode certificate ?
I have always understood that the minimum is chemical analysis and mechanical test results.
However, looking at SFA 5.1 Table 4 Required Tests for an E7018 1/8" or 3/32" there is no testing required ?
Does that mean an electrode batch certificate can be supplied with no test results or am I interpreting the standard incorrectly ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-05-2012 15:16
Hello Shane;

Take a look at AWS A5.01 / ASME SFA5.01. It lists various test schedules that must be specified to ensure the manufacturer provides the type/level of testing required and the documentation that is deliverable.

The procurement guide, i.e., AWS A5.01/ASME SFA a5.01, tells you what information must be provided to the vendor when the filler metal is ordered to ensure the proper level of testing and the proper documentation is provided when the filler metal is delivered. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-05-2012 18:25
Shane,
There is no requirement that a certificate be supplied at all. The label on the packaging, as each of the specifications states in Section 5, is sufficient. What the Section 5's say is that the label IS essentially your certificate (thats why its entitled 'Certification') unless you want more.
As for what is included on the certificate, that is to be imposed by the purchaser based upon the schedules as Al mentioned. What usually happens is that most people just take what they get. They look for chems and mechanicals and a signature and go with it. But there is no requirement for anything unless imposed by PO.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-06-2012 00:46
Thanks guys - greatly appreciate the response.
Luckily I have started on this project before an arc has been struck so we can resolve all these issues before fabrication starts,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 07-12-2012 17:07
Congrats to you. I see too many times where that is not the case!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode Certification