Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tip Tig
- - By paul 3 (*) Date 07-09-2012 01:34
Just came across this welding application on line. Tip Tig. Is it as great as what the advertisement states?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-09-2012 01:38
Ed Craig thinks so!:grin:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-09-2012 05:42
And Ed Craig doesn't like much!

:)
- - By Steve.E (**) Date 07-09-2012 06:19
Hi Paul ,we currently have 4 of these units and I must confess I'm pretty impressed with them .We have used them extensively for overlay work and welding of incoloy monel and titanium . Soon to be started will be a full zirconium vessel so they will get a workout on that as well . Here in Australia parts have been a bit of an issue but a new distributor is helping us out now .
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2012 01:40
DAMMIT      I have used pedal controlled wire feeders in purge chambers....I knew it was just a matter of time before somebody come up with this.   The travel speed in the videos is sick.  I could say well what about .030-.010 materials and pen constraints and how you gonna compensate for the draw issues ect.  but with the right fixturing/parameters that can be overcome even over longer welds. End result more consistent repeatable welds.  Now if they want to get bad to the bone they will figure out software that compensates for the speed/heat/feed changes necessary as you go on in longer welds due to heating and distortion on the thinner materials. Maybe a highly accurate sensor to detect weld deposit vs material temp at the site of fusion?  They just turned my favorite pastime into a messed up version of GMAW, skill wise.  Looks like the future of aerospace and other critical high alloy weld procedures to me.   Feel like I just turned into a dinosaur overnight.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-11-2012 03:11
Don't worry Tommy.   It will remain a niche tool.    It's gonna really speed up pipe roots
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tip Tig