Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Broken stud removal in cast manifold
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-10-2012 15:05
http://youtu.be/g6w2grAV-oc

Jody does a good job creating videos, just thought I would share one here.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-10-2012 16:43
Hello John, that is a really good video depicting the process and how it sometimes takes a try or two to bring it to successful completion. I have done similar removals many times on many different applications. Heating/Cooling from the welding in conjunction with uncleaned cast not having a particular affinity for accepting a tig filler generally helps to pull this type of removal off pretty well. Thanks for finding and sharing that and Jody does do a nice job to show one of the options for that type of repair/reclamation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-10-2012 16:54
Allan,
I am subscribed to Jody's youtube channel...I like his camera shots. Usually has a clear focused picture of the puddle and his narratives are usually very good as well. I've tried filming while welding and I can never get the light to cooperate like I need it to.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-10-2012 17:34
John, my partner and I have been on the hunt for the necessary video/camera equipment to capture just such shots and video. We currently have been in contact with a Canadian company who handles a high-speed video camera set-up to address just such a scenario. Now I just need to capture the necessary $$$$$$'s to make it all happen. Our goal is to have the ability to make video of correct/alternative/incorrect welding attempts and be able to view them in the classroom as either live or recorded footage. Possibly edit the footage to provide side-by-side images to compare the correct/incorrect or one method versus another. We also feel that this would promote better understanding of what is being seen and how it is being described. When I, or anyone else verbally describes something it is not always understood as it was intended, we feel that video allows for a way to better discuss and view the subtleties of the various welding processes and slow them down or freeze them to highlight issues in a better way. Best regards, Allan
- By 803056 (*****) Date 07-12-2012 01:43
excellent work.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Broken stud removal in cast manifold