Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Minimum fillet weld size ?
- - By FATHALLAH Date 07-14-2012 07:25
Dear all,
this is my first post in forum and iam happy to be with you.
Iam asking about the minimum fillet weld size if not specified in drawing
i always use it as 0.7 of minimum thickness but may head say you can use it from table 5.8 / AWS D1.1 but when i read the table is show avery small weld size?

can  you help me understand
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-14-2012 11:24
What code - is it D1.1?

Most projects I have worked on have a minimum equal to the thinnest cross section welded when not specified on a drawing.  And, that is what makes sense from a welding design standpoint.  But,please do search the code.

Steve
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-16-2012 13:01
Ladies and Gentlemen,
       The "Steel Structural Welding Code' D1.1 calls out a metal thickness thinnest of 3.2 mm. A fillet of that size is my smallest fillet. Doing structural analysis of a professional engineer is suggested. I hope this helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
914-536-7101 , 212-839-6599 8-4 New York Time , 914-237-7689 (H) www.lenandersen.com
Parent - - By FATHALLAH Date 07-17-2012 08:39
Dear sir,
i agree with you to make a structural analysis, but some times the size is missing or not specified in the drawing
i ask about the table if i can use or not?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-19-2012 00:27
If you are referencing Table 5.8 from AWS D1.1, the welds sizes listed are the smallest sizes permitted based on metallurgical considerations, not based on design loads.

If there is a question with regards to the size weld required, the question should be directed to those responsible for the original design.

It is dangerous to make assumptions with regards to the design loads and the weld sizes necessary to transfer those loads from one member to another with a careful analysis of the service conditions, i.e., whether the welds are subject to cyclic or static loads, the magnitude of the loads, and the basis of design used by the original designers. Another question that must be answered in addition to those mentioned is the allowable deflection that is permitted. In a simple beam design the deflection permitted may be 1/360 of the span, whereas in machine design where rigidity is a concern the deflection may be more limited, i.e., 1/1000 of the span. The original designer would be in the best position to make those determinations.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Minimum fillet weld size ?