Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cole Tuve Pyramid Section Roller
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-17-2012 02:12
I am looking at the ARS 2.2 from Cole Tuve out of Baltimore.  Anyone have an experience with their machines or the company?  Better pricing than Bailiegh of similar capacity and sources tell me most section rollers are generally of equal manufacturing standard [Roundo may be an exception].  Anyone with feedback I'd appreciate it, it's crunch time for purchase.  Thanks.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-17-2012 22:57
Looks like you might have to go with your gut. I would definitely consider die cost to be an big consideration....secondly warranty and buyer support, thirdly misc accessories.  They do have a spiral fixture which is interesting...most I have seen were homebuilt.   Tell you what, if they are worth their salt they can certainly connect you with customers so you can contact them and ask about thier experience with that model.  If they are hesitant to do that then well......

Wish you good fortune with you decision...I certainly know what is like sweating out a major purchase like that.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-18-2012 15:06
Tommyjoking-
Very good point on seeing one first hand at a local fabrication facility which I've done with the Bailiegh and Eagle.  Cole Tuve has a smaller presence which may be mostly a matter of marketing on their part but I will pursue it in any case to see if anyone in these parts is using their machines.  Thanks
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 07-18-2012 00:06
I have one of their 165 ton break presses. Works great, my only gripe is they do not and will not( i asked and they said no) put a foot pedal switch on it like any other brake press. They tell me it's for liability reasons.......
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-18-2012 15:03
cmays-
Sounds like you generally support the equipment they sell or at least the pressbrake you purchased.  Somehow I suspect that most of the machines Cole Tuve get as the distributor from the manufacturing plant in Turkey are sold in Europe although I have no supporting evidence, just a hunch.  Research of other major machine distributors ie. Bailiegh, Eagle, Ercolina tells me all the machines are produced in Europe generally Italy or in Bailieghs case Portugal I believe.  Having spoken with reps from all of those companies I am under the impression, allowing for minor differences, they are mostly equal in capacity, reliablility and durability.  The Cole Tuve rep said yesterday their rollers now have solid steel construction and have eliminated some cast steel housing/frame structure which was a major selling point from one of the other reps, so more equivalency although I haven't confirmed that and want to as I will trust steel plate over casting for major stress points.  The ARS 2.2 roller I am looking at has a much smaller footprint than the equivalent Bailiegh R-55 a benefit and a questionable spec in that I wonder why the larger unit needs that extra space- cooling, gear size, bigger squirrels?  I would like to know.  Talking with sales reps is not my favorite activity and hard to get straight answers all the time.  I will be looking for a local outfit with one of their units to speak with for feedback.  Thanks for replying, your response indicates some credence on the Cole Tuve.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 07-19-2012 01:26
In my experience with machinery wether its lathes, mills, rolls, or presses overall weight of the machine is will work in your favor. More weight equals more rigidity.
- By Dualie (***) Date 07-19-2012 03:32
never been mad at myself for buying a machine that was over built
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cole Tuve Pyramid Section Roller