Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hybrid CJP PJP welds
- - By jef1 Date 07-17-2012 14:02
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a CWI working in the locomotive industry(D15.1) and I was presented with a question from one of my design engineers.  We are fabricating a fuel tank for a loco, and some of the long seams have highly critical structural areas.  We were advised to make the critical areas CJP welds but it is a very long seam and it would be very cost effective if we could make the rest of the seam PJP.  Does anyone know if the AWS allows Hybrid CJP-PJP joint designs?  Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 07-18-2012 17:38
This is not a question for AWS, it's a question for an Engineer to answer.  Having a CJP connect to a PJP in my opinion, would lead to weld failure due to the stress riser effect, present in the PJP. Tell your Engineer to earn his pay and due the calculations.
Parent - By jef1 Date 07-19-2012 01:11
I will take your advise on this matter.  The main reason I am asking, is because I am studying to earn a degree in Welding Engineering and I was very interested by this question. Thank you for your input.:smile:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Hybrid CJP PJP welds